Saturday, March 15, 2008

Wide awake at 2 a.m.

It's 2:00 a.m. but I'm wide awake, listening to Julie Andrews. Last night (it's early morning now, after all), we hied off to OUr LAdy of Consolations Parish in Mira NIla Subdivision in Quezon City for Hangad's Easter Journey concert. At around 10:30, we were home and shortly after my husband and son went to Saguijo in Makati, a music bar for Fuzz's gig. Fuzz is a funk jazz band to which my son belongs too. Why didn't I join them?

The band's manager said they'd be performing on the second floor and the building had no elevator. A few minutes ago, my husband said the performance is on the ground floor. Darn. I could have been there. Around noon yesterday, I tried to call the bar, no answer. I tried to email, my email bounced. Not meant to watch, I guess?

SO here I am, waiting, waiting, waiting for them to come back. Earlier husband sounded peeved as there didn't seem to be any indication that FUzz was near performing. There were just so many bands lined up. But shortly after, my son texted they were going to perform next. When that will happen is anyone's guess. But at least, they're next.

So how have I been keeping myself awake? I tried to play Spider Solitaire online, without much success. I tried to play JT Blocks, without much success. The bane of having a Mac. The games I had stored in my Compaq are no longer "playable" here. Darn, darn, darn. Sad.

Earlier, before Julie Andrews, I was listening to Julia Duncan. How did we "discover" her? On my birthday, as we were having dinner in Inyo, her CD was playing and it was easy listening. So I promptly got one and it's now in my IPOD.

This pm, I got a call from my balikbayan classmate who was about to leave for the US. He called to say thank you for everything. Considering that he's male, I was touched. Plus the fact that all these years he thought we were sore at him for something or other because we had been absent at all his parties. How big of him. I think it's partly because he has a good wife. Together they have been supporting an orphanage and a community here in the Philippines, sending money and not stopping there. Prior to coming home, they got in touch with both institutions and asked what they needed. Medicines, they were told. So they got those. And they didn't just hand these over and that was it. They visited both institutions and to top it all, they invited the orphans, all 53 of them to a swimming party and Jollibee this morning. Great, no?

How did their apostolate start? Years back, their parish priest in the States was a Fr. Martin who upon retirement, asked to be assigned to the PHilippines. Fr. Martin belongs to a religious order that receives support from former students and parishioners. He asked if some of this money could be sent to the Philippines instead. His request was approved. When my friend learned of this plus the fact that most of those who sent support were whites, he decided to join the fray and asked other Filipinos to do likewise.

I was agog when I heard them talk of what they were doing. No, they weren't boasting. They started telling me about it only after I asked who the priest was who blessed their condo. May their tribe increase.

(It's 2;!0 a.m. and husband just texted, Fuzz is playing now. So I guess, they'll be home in an hour after playing 4 songs. Then we can all sleep.)

No comments: