Monday, March 24, 2008

Buyers beware of Nokia 2630


Almost two weeks ago, I got Globe plan 500 for my son. It came with a phone, a Nokia 2630, which had very brilliant colors and looked sleek, being on the slim side. I chose this phone over a fatter one so that it would look cool. Remember, it was for my son. It also had an FM radio.

A week later, I decided to get another plan for my son, while I would keep the plan and the phone I got previously. Why I decided to get one for myself was triggered by the fact that one time, I asked my husband to bring me to fabio salsa in Power Plant for a haircut. Luckily, before he left, I checked my phone balance and found out to my consternation that I had zero balance. So i asked if he could get me a prepaid card. Imagine if he had left before I could ask him. How would I have reached him to tell him I was ready to be picked up? That decided it, I needed a phone with a plan.

During holy week, part of my penitensiya was to transfer via bluetooth, the numbers from my NOkia 6600 to my Nokia 2630. I reached letter T when I said I was tired. Besides I noticed that after a few names, the phone would die down and my son said it was from the huge number of entries I put in. So I'd charge the phone again but before long it would die down. Turning it on was a chore and while earlier I was in denial (this couldn't be happening to a Nokia phone), I decided enough was enough and brought it with me to the GLobe business office in Shang when I paid my first bill this morning.

The girl who attended to me didn't even ask to see my receipt from getting the plan. I just told her the phone was busted after barely two weeks and she quietly got it from me. Perturbed, I asked, "Is it usual for this phone to break down?" She softly answered, "Nag hahang po." I was incredulous. Why does Nokia not pull out all its 2630 models, for heaven's sake? And why does Globe "give it away" with Plan 500? Is no one concerned about reputation any longer? How sad. Lucky for her I wasn't in a belligerent mood. On the way to Shang in the wheel mobile, I was psyching myself to be cool-headed because after all, I was to have lunch with two college friends after transacting with Globe. How lousy if I ended up in a bad mood from a no-brainer situation. Still I persisted, "What if you just give me a replacement phone, maybe the other model?" She said, "Sorry ma'am but our policy is to replace the unit up to a week after purchase only. we'll just send this to the Nokia Service Center." But I was persistent, "What if they cannot repair it?" She assured me they could. I then asked, "What if it conks out again?" She said, "We'll send it back again if it's still under warranty." I asked, "what if it conks out again?" (Kulit ko ba? Consumer's right, right?) She said, "We'll wait for the technical report and decide from there." Boy, oh boy, oh boy. I couldn't believe what I was hearing but since she was so patient and I was going to have lunch with friends, I left it at that. Then it occurred to me to ask how long it would take to repair. she said two to three weeks. I just had to have the last word: What if I had no spare phone? I'd have a Sim whose plan had to be consumed but no phone. She smiled shyly. Boy, oh boy, oh boy. (By the way, the phone costs P3890 retail, without a plan.)

For more on the phone, check out this site. There are some who're all praises for it, but a number are dissatisfied like I am. But our number is just one too many.

**********

Is Mercury (the planet, not the drugstore) on retrograde? When I came home, my son said his Godin acoustic guitar's pickups wouldn't work after he replaced the strings. Then my husband went to the bathroom and said the light wouldn't turn on. What an electronically/electrically challenged day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! You passed the real penitencia which was not really the tedious task of transferring data from one phone to another but how you PATIENTLY dealt with the customer service rep after being told that you just bought a lemon (which should no longer come as a shock nowadays but which nonetheless puts our lives out of balance).

I once bought a Nokia phone and I was very very happy with it - good camera, soft keys (very important for a texter like me), big internal memory, FM radio, all the works - until it suddenly died. I went to a service center here in the hick town where I live and the guy said, "Pay 800 for me to open the phone but I am not sure if I can make it work again ... this is a very new model". I shipped it to Manila and Nokia said my phone does not have an NTC sticker which means it was smuggled to the Phil., ergo they can't honor the service warranty. Long story but they eventually got it working.

I have heard about Nokia phones conking out but I still buy Nokia phones (I have 6300... let me give you a tip from a Nokia service rep: he said the BEST working phones are the 6--- models and that's why ALL except two of my last 6 or 7 Nokias since 2000 were the 6--- models) . I'm very happy with the service centers in Manila, reps are very helpful, very courteous, very efficient (I go to the one at SM Mall of Asia).

I tried Sony but if you're used to Nokias you wouldn't like the learning curve (I must have sent a hundred unfinished messages before I decided to give my phone to a niece).

I've been on a postpaid plan since 2001 when one morning I woke up to discover I was practically immobile, I couldn't even get up from my bed (cervical spondylosis), I grabbed my cellphone and found out I had no balance! Luckily, I was supposed to be in school and when I didn't come, a colleague called to check on me. Allelluia!

antonette said...

Haha. I was patient with her, I guess, because she was not obnoxious and admitted the flaw of the phone instead of covering up. Plus she looked too sweet but not stupid to quarrel with.

I tried a Sony once and it did take time learning to use it until my son hinted he wanted it. He gave up after the joy stick refused to move or developed a mind of its own. SO it has been Nokia for him and me since. I have a 6600 and it looks Jurassic but it works still so that's where I use my new SIM. I think the free phone I got for my son's plan is a 6600. Is that the one with a 2 megapixel camera? I'll check the model later.

Thanks for the tip re the Nokia service centers. But I let Globe send the rotten lemon to Nokia themselves. Too stressful for me to find a service center because not one exists where I mall.