Sunday, March 16, 2008

Chicken on My Mind

As we drove past Tandang Sora last Sunday, and past Marikina Tuesday night, I saw stalls upon stalls of lechon manok. I wanted to stop and get one but was almost sure it wouldn't taste as good as the lechon manok of my childhood.

In no particular order, I remember the Robina chicken displayed in skewers in Cubao. My mother would always get one for us when we'd be in Cubao. Then there was the lechon manok in Villa Iloilo. Then there was the one Vir would cook on a spit on top of charcoal near the labahan of Elang. Sometimes she'd stuff it with tanglad. Those were the days.

Re chicken sandwich: No one can still top that of Roli's in Bacolod. How I liked the way the chicken was sliced to fit into American loaf bread. Sometimes I would ask that the bread be not toasted. And of course, no vegetables (lettuce and tomatoes), please. Mayo, yes.

Cibo's chicken sandwich is ok, but it still isn't Roli's. So with Milky way's where the slices of chicken are so scant how I wish I could say, "i'll pay more, can you put in more chicken?"

At the Ateneo high school cafeteria, we once had a meeting and the chicken in the sandwich was generous in quantity. Quite good, but still, not quite Roli's.

Chicken pie/empanada: what stands out in my memory is that of el Ideal in Silay. I used to like it so much and told the daughter of the owner that she once brought a couple for me to school. Her thoughtfulness made it taste even better. But a few years ago, she no longer recognized me and her chicken pie didn't taste as good. Any connection there? Just kidding.

Red ribbon's chicken empanada: It's okay except that I'm not a big fan of raisins. But heated and if I'm very hungry, it tastes good.

Goldilocks chicken pie: I remember how our maid Rachel would always ask me to get her some when I'd go to Cubao without her. She liked it so much.

San Lorenzo empanada: it's ok, tastes a bit like chicken a la king in a crust: red pepper is very evident.

Chicken pastel: I've made some myself but I still long to eat Vir's version which had tomato sauce. The version I make doesn't have it but once I saw a recipe with tomato sauce among the ingredients. It tasted a little like Vir's but not quite.

Fried/Baked chicken: I remember in Bacolod, Mama would always bring us to the Magalona outlet of DelMar frozen chicken. They had fat drumsticks that Vir would cook in cheese. They were really yummy. Vir also had this chicken imperial which was chicken baked in cheese and milk. As usual, no one seems able to approximate it.

Chicken curry: I used to eat chicken curry (maybe because there was no other dish on the table) prepared by the maid in Manila, Cora. She served this with potato and it was good. I no longer eat curried dishes, not after we took Pakistan Air to the US in 1980 and every single dish, even the burger, had curry. I couldn't wait to get off the plane then.

Fried chicken:
In Bacolod, when Kentucky Fried Chicken was first put up near the bowling lanes in Bata Subdivision, it was always a treat for us when Papa would buy a bucket. That usually took place on All Saints' Day, I guess because the maid wouldn't be around to prepare our meal as she'd go visit her dead relatives. Whatever, all I know is that memory stands out. It may have happened only once, but I cannot forget that.

Today, I cannot eat KFC unless I'm very hungry. I find the preparation way too salty. Sometimes, I order their chicken burger or get just one chicken nugget from my son's order but enjoy it, no more. Did their formulation change or have my taste buds?

Max: I used to enjoy it saying that it was chicken at its purest: no bread crumbs or flour concealing the chicken flavor. But the chicken they serve now seems anorexic, emaciated. So it's no longer too enticing.

Barbecued/Roast Chicken
When Kenny Rogers was newly opened, we'd occasionally drop by but we've stopped doing so. The sidings look droopy and the chicken, I guess, is too Americanized.

The one of Aristocrat's, now Serye or Reyes, is okay except that the skin is usually almost entirely black -- and therefore carcinogenic?


Chicken Inasal: There's chicken Bacolod and Chix and Treats in our area and while they're the best I can get to address the nostalgia of my youth, they don't/can't compare the one we used to get from Prito across the house.

So which chicken is my current favorite? Cyma's chicken adobo which is served in olive oil with Feta cheese and roasted potatoes. Chicken is just so tender and flavorful. But I can't remember its Greek name...

No comments: