Monday, March 17, 2008

Silence

I have to be quiet. My son's studying for two long tests tomorrow: economics and calculus. It's a good thing that I am no longer too avid a tv viewer. You know when that transition took place? When my son's best friend died. I guess I was depressed then. The TV, my usual source of entertainment provided no solace so I learned to turn it on only for specific shows. It no longer became my source of peripheral noise even. I cannot explain why.

So now as I type this I hear the drone of the aircon. My son has earphones on, listening to music from his ITouch. So why am I not doing the same? Maybe in a while.

yesterday, went to Shangrila Mall to watch The Easter Journey concert of Hangad for the second time in two days. It was a shorter version of Saturday's show in church. But it was moving nonetheless. I met up with a relative, okay she's my niece though she's only 3 days younger than I am, who moved her trip to Manila so she could watch the show. I think she even moved the schedule of taking her chemo pill for the same reason. And somehow, I'd like to think, the show touched her. When she heard the song Love Untold, she said "it's beautiful, but disturbing." She also commented, "If I listen to this all the time I'll be crying the whole day."

Personally, more than the lyrics, more often than not, what moves me, what haunts me is the music, the melody. I am not a lyrics person, maybe because I don't listen well enough. But there are two songs whose lyrics I know by heart because they constantly touch me, sometimes even moving me to tears. They are the songs Prayer for Generosity and Anima Christi. I'd like to share them with you, hence the links.

No comments: