Saturday, October 6, 2007

What would you have done...

It's past midnight but a few minutes ago, someone insistently rang our doorbell at certain intervals. My husband and son are here in the room with me. Who could that have been?

My husband is asleep, he slept through the doorbell's ringing. My son and I looked at each other, perplexed as to who might have been outside. If it were someone either of us knew, I'm almost sure that person would have called up first or sent a text message announcing his/her imminent arrival or buzzing of the doorbell. But neither of us got any word someone was coming. So who could that have been?

A thought that occurred to me was our maid. We have this boyish maid who has a "girl friend" he/she can't seem to see/get enough of. This p.m., when we got home earlier than is our wont, we "caught" her clad in white pants with a white shirt tucked in, apparently just arrived from who knows where. Yes, without my permission. I asked where she had come from but even before she answered, I knew what the answer was: Mercury Drug. I might as well have had a crystal ball because I was right. An hour or so after our arrival, she asked permission to go to Mercury. At first I automatically said yes, then it occurred to me that, hey, she said she had just come from Mercury when we got back. SO I told her, wait, didn't you go to Mercury earlier? She said, "I was about to leave for Mercury." Incredulous, I said, "OH?" What would you like to buy there?" She said, "Gardan." I said, "I'll give you." End of story. But was it really the end? Did she perchance leave without asking for permission again? My two other maids are related to her: one is her sister, the other her cousin. Were they being mean by not letting her in? Could she have texted them to open the gate but they stood firm and didn't? Why didn't I have my son check regardless?

In this day and age, is it safe to go out and check who could be at the gate? I hesitate to say yes. Hence my deciding not to do anything about it.

Who could it have been?

What would you have done were you in my position?

No comments: