Saturday, October 27, 2007

On being a wedding ninang

Sure it's an honor but it costs. Never mind the present, but getting a dress made is what I'm talking about, plus shoes, plus a bag, and worse jewelry to match. I think I'll borrow from a sister. Anyway, yesterday, hied off to MICO in Shangrila to get one done. Being in a wheelchair limits my choices. Another limiting factor is my hugeness plus my being conservative. A cousin who was asked to stand as godmother previously got a proxy, I have been thinking of doing the same. But the bride and groom will be disappointed, my husband said. So...

The in-house designer was cordial enough, so unlike the women in a previous visit in the same shop who snootily told me years ago that labor for a blouse cost P1000. This time around, before we got to the in-house designer who was talking over her cellphone, the lady who welcomed us in was young and pleasant. She entertained us at first as the designer was taking forever on the phone. She showed us swatches of cloth and when she found out the color motif and my wish to have a pants-blouse ensemble rather than a gown, she promptly pointed to brown taffeta to combine with the beige one for the blouse. Getting the designer to design a blouse for me was more tedious. She designed a blouse with a collar. I told her, not too low. Then she proceeded to draw tacks, I said that might make the blouse tight, she insisted it was necessary. In the meantime, the parents of my son's classmate came in and muddled the issue, the husband especially, by issuing comments. I wanted to ignore him because he kept butting in. Anyway, the designer drew a v-neck blouse with ruffles. I was aghast. I said, how thick are the ruffles, she showed me a sample, I said no. I had decided on the one with the collar, which was a bit assymetrical. One part of the collar was to have a shirr and beads, gold ones. Then the sleeves-- she drew bubble sleeves. I told her that might make me even fatter she said no. I said that might quickly go out of fashion, she said it was in -- but for how long, I asked. She didn't answer. She said she wanted to put a sash but decided not to because I was seated anyway. I showed her my sample blouse so I needn't be measured. She noticed there were no tacks except for one on each side and she said she'd just follow it. In the meantime, the father of my son's classmate asked, "when's the wedding?" I told you he kept butting in. When I said "January 2" he said but you might gain weight till then. So when should I have my blouse made, January 1? Darn him. Meanwhile, he also remarked when I said the neckline might be too low, that's true because everyone will be looking down at you. Oh boy. I had to remind the designer to have the length of the sleeves measured as the blouse I brought had long sleeves, while the one she designed was 3/4. Later I also told her, what about how deep the blouse should go? She called the sewer again. I asked her for a sample of the sleeves she was suggesting. She said there was none. Then when I looked at the racks from where I was, I saw a blouse which seemed to measure up to what she drew. I pointed it to her and she said I was right. Very phlegmatic, distracted, inept. But she could draw. Maybe her youth was behind her indecision? I don't really know. She laughed when I said, "Strict ang parents ko" because she wanted the opening of the blouse a bit low.

Though I paid a 50 percent deposit, I told her to hold sewing it first. I think I'll go back there to talk to the owner who might have a better design. Hopefully, there will no longer be a kibitzer making wry comments next time around.

No comments: