Monday, October 8, 2007

Some quotes/insights from a conversation with a sister

This a.m. I told my sister of the panel discussion involving PAASCU accreditors and some parents/alumni of the school currently undergoing accreditation--how the parents spoke of spiritual growth when the PAASCU accreditors were asking about what improvements they thought the school needed in terms of infrastructure. After my sister heard what I had to say, she mentioned that at mass this morning, there were four priests from the school present, possibly to avoid classes' starting late because the priest who said mass came late (maybe they wanted to ensure the communion would proceed quickly so the start of classes won't be delayed). She said it was window dressing of sorts. I agree. For such evaluations to be reflective of the real state of affairs, they should be spontaneous, unannounced. Otherwise, they draw out results that are contrived, artificial, unreal, fake.

***************

The guilty need no accusers.

that comment was proffered by my sister yesterday when I told her of a "friend" or someone I had thought all these years was one. Why? After the VALE incident she kept saying "galit ka ba sa akin?" And I've been wondering why she should ask this non-stop. Did she do something behind my back? Why does she keep saying "Sorry if I did or said something"? At first I dismissed her pleas saying "Ano ka ba?" But she wouldn't stop apologizing. One time she texted me and it took time for me to answer her message because the phone she was texting me in had no load. When finally I was able to answer her I told her to text me in the other number and explained the other number's predicament. Then she asked "Baka galit ka sa akin?" Then when she saw my husband she also asked him if I were angry with her. She told him why she thought so. She's getting boring and is making me suspicious. Or does she have a persecution complex? I'm so exhausted hearing her apologize. Makes me paranoid as a result because why is she so hung up on getting me to forgive her? Or is this her perpetual dialogue with everyone? Way back she'd also ask me, "Is there something wrong with me? Why don't I get invited to their party?" "Their" meaning a group of moms in our sons' batch who'd always have parties. I didn't worry about not being invited myself because in the first place I wasn't that close to them so why should I expect to be included in their A-list? Whatever... What do you think? Is she guilty of anything?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

About PAASCU and window dressing. My students called it "moro moro". When we had accreditation, the school would be spruced up, teachers would be warned "not to wash our dirty linens in public", class records and other documents would be required. PLUS the school houses the accreditors and pay for everything. In a CPA's language, we'd say that these are acts which impairs your independence and therefore you should refrain from expressing an (audit) opinion.

antonette said...

thanks for your comments. that's a most appropriate term, no? Moro-moro. It's pathetic but it happens everywhere. Sad.