Thursday, October 4, 2007

Mama and school supplies

Lest you thing Mama was a spendthrift all the time, she wasn't. In fact, I will never forget how I would envy my classmate's sandwich brought to school from their home because the slice of luncheon meat in it (generic name then was "Spam") was so much thicker and the bread looked softer. And that classmate also had real art paper -- one side glossy, the other side white-- when we were asked to bring colored paper. Mama's version of colored paper was like colored mimeo paper so the colors were dull, not striking. I always blamed Servando's for that. It didn't carry the art paper which Sunrise Educational Supply did. For scratch paper, Mama would also buy mimeo paper while some of my classmates had sparkling white bond paper. Servando's fault again? Or maybe Mama wanted to save. Now that I'm a mother myself, I try to do the same.

No comments: