Saturday, October 6, 2007

Given another scenario, what would you have done?

This morning, as we were moving slowly toward McDo's drive-through window, I happened to see two females quarreling. The smaller one had a kid with her and after challenging a bigger lady to a fight, she actually grabbed that other person's hair and started to hit her. Neither was armed and no one was butting in. I just looked on, dumbfounded, the car window closed. Two men were close to them, closer than we were but they just looked on too. What would have been the Christian thing to do?

Years back we were loading our groceries into the car when across us, I saw a man beating up a woman repeatedly. He'd stop, return to her, hit her in the stomach. People just looked, no one intervened. Not even the security guard. What would have been the Christian thing to do?

Even farther back, as I walked to school, I saw a man and a woman fighting near the gate of my school. It was drizzling but that didn't stop them. Straight out of a movie it seemed like. But it was real life. What would have been the Christian thing to do?

Oftentimes, when we go to Megamall, I see a foreigner with a young girl. Pedophile? I wonder. Scary. I'd pray I was wrong, but what would have been the more Christian thing to do?

The Parable of the Good Samaritan would suggest that we should step in, but doing so could well endanger us. A friend of my sister became crippled after he tried to pacify two fighting friends: he was hit by a bullet for his heroic act and now walks with crutches.

Life is such a puzzle, an enigma, a mystery. Sometimes one gets penalized for doing the right thing, the Christian thing; others seem rewarded for doing dastardly acts. But all these judgments are on the superficial level. Maybe deep down, God has rewarded the good and punished the wicked? Is doing the Christian thing always best or should one be guided by such principles as: survival of the fittest? Self-preservation?

No comments: