Monday, October 8, 2007

Shorts or Bits and Pieces of Nothing and Everything


A day or so ago, I saw a press release in the Inquirer. It was of Dainty Restaurant in Iznart Street, Iloilo City. That made me smile because I remembered Lolo who would lovingly order the best foods for us each time we visited. There was this pork tenderloin served with fried potatoes which had gravy. I don't know exactly whether that was ordered in Dainty Restaurant but Lolo would always get that for us. I felt his love each time he did that. Now I miss Lolo, he who ran with a face towel when while running as my sister and I played "store-store" I broke the glass bottle which had candies in it. In my fear of being scolded, I think I scooped up some of the broken shards of glass and that created a wound in my third finger that has a scar until now. Lolo rushed to wipe off the blood as I cried, okay, bawled loudly. I don't mind the scar. It reminds me of Mama and Lolo who were most concerned that I had hurt myself. I don't think a doctor was called to fix the wound, I don't care. It's enough that they cared. So did my sister who felt guilty about having me get the bottle in the first place.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Yesterday a teacher from the school where my son graduated asked him to come to a PAASCU interview today. I snickered when I found out about her request. She was one of those who largely ignored my son and his org's achievements while he was in high school. Suddenly she made this request. where were her favored ones? Why didn't she call them? Well two are in the US studying -- the school's college isn't good enough for them, I guess, while the third of her favorites is in the state college. Another boy she invited over was someone whom she and her ilk didn't give an award to years back even if he deserved it. He also came from the org where my son belonged. An org that produces good people largely taken for granted but relied upon when push comes to shove. Because they deliver...

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Kyla was impressive when she sang Lupang Hinirang before the Pacquiao Barrera fight yesterday. Weeks before the event, when she was interviewed, she was reassuring all and sundry that she had no plans to belt it out nor to sing it R&B style (she is known as the R&B princess), etc. She said she knew it was composed as a march and wanted people to hear it as such. She said she'd call attention to the song rather than herself. She kept her word and it was one of the best ever renditions of the Philippine National Anthem that I have ever heard. No frills, just straightforward singing from the heart. Kyla was worthy of having been chosen to represent the country. She was decently dressed and yes, she delivered. Check out the following link if you missed it yesterday: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kyla+pacquiao&search=Search

No comments: