Saturday, October 13, 2007

Mismatched Deliberately


Over a year ago, I bought my son a pair of red and black Reef flip flops (smagol in Ilonggo). Okay so they cost much but were they worth it? A little later, found And One slippers (same style, different design) and bought a pair for him. This one was a few hundreds cheaper but (or and?) had a shorter life span. A few months ago, my son said the red pair had grown too smooth and therefore slippery due to lack of friction because they had grown worn. So, rather than have him slip and end up paying the doctor, I bought him Havianas. In between these purchases, husband got a pair of Bench flip flops. They were orange. This husband wore alternately with the Reef slippers but he was more partial to wearing the Bench ones(nationalistic? I don't think so). Anyway, a few weeks ago one of the Bench pair's "straps" got broken, and so did one of the Reef pair. Ironically, the two good ones were for different feet (one right, one left). SO husband who can be a Scrooge sometimes, thought of wearing one orange, one red slipper. Each time we'd go to the mall, I'd tell him I'd get him a new pair. He refused every time. Fine. (Note: he was gloating that he didn't want to buy the more expensive brand because as far as his experience went, their life spans were similar. Wrong, Reef's was longer. It was bought much earlier.)

But what do you know? I guess he forgot or didn't care, but he walked to the barbershop in the neighborhood using two aberrations. And when he came home, he said he saw the cashier cum janitress and the barber look curiously at his slippers. Wonder what they thought? That husband had Alzheimer's so he wore mismatched slippers?

A picture of the aberrations/absurdities are in this blog. I had son take them; hopefully I can have him take pictures of the flowers I was gushing about in an earlier blog. Thing is he wants to be "paid" for this. A few days back, a friend sent me a picture of him and his crush. I'd have sent it to him if he had let me read his essay in English class. He refused, so I did too. Tit for tat. Now for taking the picture of the slippers, he wants me to send him the picture my friend sent me. He wrote in the email containing the slippers' picture: TRADE.

harrummphhhhhhhhh...

No comments: