Sunday, October 14, 2007

May I emote?

I have this friend who has a lot of angst and she'd call me, frankly saying at the start of the conversation, "I need to emote!" I'll do it myself now so I don't vent my ire at the maid I'm about to write about.

At 10 a.m., a friend of my son came. He was the first of six others who are here now for a meeting. At around 11, I had one maid go to the bank, okay two banks and then to Rustan's to buy soft drinks. She was aware that there were guests here in the house waiting. Around 11:30 she called, Rustan's she said had Coke lite only, no regular. So I suggested she go to Mercury nearby to get regular. Maybe 5 minutes later, she called, mercury didn't have stock either. I told her to go to Shoppers, maybe a ten-minute walk from Mercury, max. She came back an hour later. by then the boys had finished eating. By then I had spent P119 for smaller bottles of Coke (7 sakto at Php7 each and 7 8-oz bottles @ Php10 each) just so they'd be able to drink Coke while eating.

Okay, it's not so much the money "wasted" in the sense that the Coke she finally brought home won't go stale. Thing is where's the "service" element? Pagmamalasakit, konsiderasyon, insight? whatever term would best suit it, where was it? What took her so long? I asked the other maid who's very close to her why she took so long. Please, spare me the lies. I asked that maid point blank: did she go shopping pa? Yes she did. No problem there if there weren't any visitors waiting. there were. No problem there if she didn't know they were waiting. She did.

Will I meet her with silence and wait for the lies? I'm sure she'll have an excuse ready. like there were a lot of customers. But an hour? That's way too much and unbelievable. My mistake-- I shouldn't have given her salary before she left for the grocery. Lesson learned: I'll give their salaries late in the night next time. How mean? How practical. Anyway the law doesn't prescribe any time, right? Konsiderasyon naman, one might argue. But did she show it? Does she know what it is?

I rest my case.

No comments: