Monday, October 8, 2007

Mi Piace 2

The other day, my son's 18th birthday, we had lunch at Mi Piace in Manila Pen. While previous to this our meal in Mi Piace was stunning, the one last Sunday paled considerably. I am not sure if the disappointment lay in what we ordered or whether they might have a new chef, I don't really know. My son ordered Trentina pizza which had leaves galore. The ham was so thinly sliced it could hardly be tasted. Sad. We ordered a pasta dish with ham and cream. It wasn't superb, though it wasn't that bad. The piece de resistance or so I thought had yet to come. I ordered osso bucco because of my elating experience with it in Amici. The menu said it came with saffron rice so definitely it had to be special. But I was sadly disappointed. It had a funny taste to it, possibly my uneducated taste buds didn't like the alcohol (brandy, wine, marsala) or whatever it was that laced the dish. The meat was way to dark too. Perhaps that's how osso buco should go, but even then, I didn't like it. What made us happy where the different kinds of bread they laid on the table. we had a second serving of those and what we didn't finish in the basket they smilingly packed in yellow paper bags. At least the staff was most cordial...

The next birthday will be mine. Will it be Mi Piace again? I doubt very much. Myron's maybe or somewhere else...

No comments: