Monday, May 14, 2007

Italian restaurants (2)

Yesterday, Mother's Day, we ate at Mi Piace in Manila Pen. Everyone who works there is cordial and the food is wow! Shortly after we were seated, we were given a basket of a variety of breads. They were all so tasteful. My son asked for butter and he said, "This is white butter." On the table was a bottle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Oh yes, served with the bread was parmesan cheese. My son prepared a sauce of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, parmesan cheese and pepper. Nice.

My husband ordered pasta with sauteed shrimps, my son ordered pollo with cheese, and an all meat pizza. I just shared what they ordered. I am not a pasta/pizza person but because the resto is a favorite of my son's and the occasion was special, I chose to eat there. Luckily for me, the pasta was really good! Pizza was too. The chicken my son swooned over because the cheese was oozing (stretching), but by the time I got a portion closest to the bone, there was no more cheese. Pity. Would have wanted to order beef tenderloin but didn't want to spend P1800 plus for that. (I can eat steak cheaper in House of Minis.) We ordered dessert. Very fancy: three pieces which I will describe as I don't remember their names. One had a crust that was laced with chocolate at the bottom and topped by what I thought was meringue. The thing should have had white chocolate but I didn't "feel" it when I ate. The next was a chocolate cake, really tiny. It was wet and was ok, not really special. What I liked most was the rolled chocolate with a cream filling inside. That was a winner. And the presentation of the entire set was cute. red dots of strawberry spread. (I can't recall where we ate where I ordered cake and it was delicious but somehow lacking. The plate wasn't decorated. Was that sloth or should the cake's taste have taken care of the plate's bareness? oh well).

The Mi Piace experience was capped by two tiny pink boxes tied with pink ribbons. Each box contained three chocolate pieces shaped like two hearts. One piece was dark chocolate, the other was milk chocolate and the last, white chocolate. Just right for my family and me. Each one of us prefers one of the three over the two others.

No comments: