Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Empty Nest

I first heard the expression from a professor for whom I worked. He said that he and his wife now lived in an empty nest with all their children having gone off to college abroad.

A few minutes ago, that was exactly how I felt in the sense that while my husband went out of town for a retreat and will be back Friday, my son just asked permission to go with his friends to buy some stuff. True, he'll be back a little after lunch, but he will leave again at 6 to join his group for practice and a movie. He said he'd then be back around midnight or later.

it feels lonely to be in an empty nest although it gives one the time and space to be with one's thoughts and memories, to focus on what one wishes. Still, I'd rather not be in an empty nest, at least, not for long.

No comments: