Sunday, May 20, 2007

Globe Tracking

A year ago, a coparent in school told me about how she tracked her son while he was on vacation in Bacolod. I asked her to teach me how because rather than intrude actively into my son's space, I want to be discreet. Often I just want to reassure myself he is fine, hence my curiosity about the tracking feature of GLOBE.

While it has helped me a lot, there are occasions when it's inaccuracies drive me up the wall. A few weeks ago, I tried to track my son. It was 7:00 in the evening and the info I got from 7000 was that he was in Tanong, Marikina. That alarmed me as while I knew he was there mornings, night time was a different story altogether. As far as I knew he was in school. When he came home after a few minutes, he told me that indeed, he had been in school. Perchance, the Tanong thing was a glitch. That morning I had tried to track him but didn't get a response from Globe.

Two nights ago, on the other hand, I tried to track him as he had called and I failed to answer. My husband and I were in a restaurant waiting for him. The info I got from globe was that he was in the vicinity of the Phil. Heart Center. That truly alarmed me as why on earth was he there? Had he met an accident? had his phone been snatched? Shortly after, he called again and said he was in Ateneo. Now that was really strange. And I know he wasn't lying because very shortly after that call, he was with us in the restaurant.

Another thing. The globe tracking feature also allows subscribers to get a map of the location where the person being tracked is. I've accessed this feature a few times and while some maps are very precise, there was one instance where the map sent me had a sketch of a road and all it said was MacArthur Highway. how vague could they get? MacArthur Highway runs across Bulacan which is quite a long stretch. I'm not sure but I think it even extends to Pampanga!

At any rate, if you want to try it out, text HELP to 7000 for instructions.

No comments: