Monday, May 28, 2007

Funny experiences

She never fails to get my hackles up. And I don’t know if her gender confusion has anything to do with my shortness of temper where she is concerned. But the following exchanges have nothing to do with gender. I take such issues gingerly because it’s a matter of choice and morals. Anyway:

First exchange:
Me: Look for my son's shirt. White nga may collar.
He/she: ho-o day.
He/she leaves for my son's room. My son asks him/her what he/she’s looking for.
He/she: white na shirt na may kulay.

Second exchange:
My husband was looking for a deodorant. To quote Francis M, “I knew it for a fact” that I had bought several. Husband rang the buzzer to call the maid. He/she comes in
Me: kun ga bakal kami deodorant, di-in mo guina butang?
He/she gestures a back and forth motion between her lifted upper arm and her armpit.
Me: hay naku.
My husband, whose back was turned to him/her snickered. I threw a face towel at him. He threw it back and I tried to suppress my laughter.
He/she and another maid were inside the dresser getting something. He/she asked the other maid:
“Hala nga-a ga hibi si Inday?” Now my laughter sounds like tears?
Shucks.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hay kaalam.

antonette said...

hahaha. how perceptive of you. how i laughed when i read those two words you wrote. they spoke volumes.