Monday, May 28, 2007

Broken appliances and maids

Time and again I've been telling the maids to turn off the appliance first before unplugging it and not to put too much water in a glass.

Just this afternoon, I was surprised when the electric fan in the room suddenly stopped when I didn't see anyone turn it off. The maid had pulled out the plug. No wonder the appliances we allow them to use get busted so quickly: electric fan, TV set, etc.
arrgh.

Re the water in the glass, I keep chiding this maid not to fill the glass to the rim because I'm not a gold fish. Once we had a guest but as usual, she didn't follow instructions. This man is a distinguished businessman but he looked a mess after he drank from the glass. This p.m. I asked the maid if water didn't spill whenever she filled her glass to the brim. She said it didn't. Wow, this I've got to see.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'll never forget my friend's experience about telling her maid not to fill the glass to the rim. Like you, she had visitors from Manila (she was a Tagala who married someone from Negros who took her to live in his farm) and she was embarrassed when one of the guests spilled his drink because the glass was too full. So she took time to lecture her maid about what and what not to do when serving soda in glasses.

The next time she had guests, the glasses came but they were still almost full so when the guests were gone, she went to the kitchen to reprimand the maid. "I told you not to fill the glasses with so much soda!" she said to the maid. She almost puked when the maid replied, "But I already sipped from each glass to make sure they weren't too full!" :P

antonette said...

Yuck ka damak. I guess it's true what they say that you shouldn't antagonize people who handle your food because they can subject this to all sorts of uncanny, unsanitary machinations... gross