Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The tale of Banjo and Boston

If I suddenly and mistakenly write Bruno here, it's because Banjo and Boston are barbershops, just like Bruno's. Oh, but now I get it. Bruno's is upscale, located in Power Plant, Banjo's and Boston are in Katipunan-- they both cater to students. Let me correct myself, while Bruno's is in upscale Power Plant, it charges reasonably. The last time my son had a haircut there, I think it cost P120. Not bad for an establishment in Power Plant.

So why am I writing about Boston and Banjo's?

Banjo's has been in Katipunan for a long time now. It was the barbershop of choice of my son and husband. In fact, my husband has a favorite barber in Banjo's. Okay, make that had.

Last Monday, when he came home from the barber's, he said he went to Boston's. Why? His favorite barber had transferred. And think about this. Boston's is on the second floor of the same building where Banjo's is. No zoning regulations here, apparently. Or should that be courtesy at the very least? I asked my husband how he found out that Hermie, his favorite, was in Boston's. A barber in Banjo's had informed my husband. And when he told Hermie this, Hermie said that possibly, it was his brother-in-law who had told my husband. Husband said the manicurist of Banjo's had also transferred to Boston.

Tonight my son came back from the barber's. Still Banjo's. My son has a soft spot in his heart. Outside Banjo's he said, were the former barbers of the shop who were staking out their old clients so they could lead them up to Boston's. How crude and cruel. But my son, like I said, has a soft heart. Seeing that there was but one barber left in Banjo's and despite the fact that by choosing to stay loyal he had to await his turn, he did. He also told me that while he was at Banjo's, the lone barber was interrupted several times by calls from the owner who asked if new barbers had been recruited from the province. My son said he heard there had been. But he also noted that the lone remaining barber also wanted to up and leave.

Banjo and Boston. Their story is nothing new in the Philippines where the crab mentality rules. Sad.

No comments: