Sunday, January 13, 2008

DId you know that... I didn't

Advent or Christmas ends not on the Feast of the Magi but on the baptism of Jesus. All these years, I thought the Feast of the Three Kings meant the last day of Christmas, so I was amazed a few days back when I noticed that our parish church still had a creche and during Communion, the recorded music played was a Christmas song. Yesterday, our parish priest clarified during his homily that it's the baptism of Jesus that marks the end of Christmas. He then challenged, how many of you know when you were baptized? Do you celebrate it?

Yes I do... My baptismal date is my father's birthday and I always hear mass on that day. My son's baptismal day was deliberately chosen too: the birthday of my brother, so I also hear mass on that day. But of course I didn't volunteer that information to the priest.

Sweeping generalizations do not work all the time.

*************
On another note:

Last Friday, I heard mass in our parish church. I usually sit beside a wall at the back of the church like a publican. I am self-effacing, shy, yes, but the primary reason for my deciding to stay where I do is that when the electric fan is on, I am lucky to be a recipient of its cool air. And last Friday was no exception. As I sat in my usual post before the mass, an American-looking Jesuit passed by. He nodded "Good evening" and I smiled back. I thought he'd say the mass but he didn't. At the end of the mass, I saw him go out the door beside my wall. He stopped by to ask, "how are you?" And then he added, "All throughout the mass I was beside you from that room." I think the priest was Fr. Greene. But I'm not sure. Years back, a lot of years back, he was heftier. If that indeed was he, he looked a lot thinner but had the same wise-looking eyes. Like an owl's? No, but like a person's with wisdom.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Sometimes I hesitate to hear mass in our parish church because except for the center communion aisle, the others are narrow especially at the back. Or sometimes, the aisle where I could turn to go back to the seat is narrow. At the center I could make a u-turn in my wheelchair but delay people behind me in the process. Remember, two priests before told me I should receive communion last? Darn.

***********************

One of my maids is leaving end-month. Will I miss her? Maybe her filosofo answers. One time, on a Sunday, I asked her about the barong I had dry-cleaned. She said in the vernacular: "The receipt says Saturday but the girl who issued it said it will be ready Monday." Duhhhhhhhh... What a cop-out.

No comments: