Wednesday, January 16, 2008

In-yo

This restaurant I think I've written about. It was a house converted into a cozy, fine dining, a bit pricey restaurant. It features Fusion cuisine.

Parking is ample inside, with a valet available to do the chores. He's not clad the way hotel valets are but he's okay. Sorry I failed to take pictures of the facade but next time I will.

There are tables outside under trees with vines cascading downwards.


It's cool enough in the evenings but I don't exactly imagine enjoying a meal there at lunch, though some do. Just before the doorway is a fishpond littered with koi. Reminds me of my childhood when we had some of these but referred to them as goldfish. hahaha. Now they're known as carp or koi. Cool.



I was earlier than my two friends but it didn't occur to me to take pictures which I should have done. The tabletops are perched on top of the legs of old sewing machines. The waiter gave me a round stool, or so I thought, for laying my bag on. I didn't accept his offer. I should have taken a picture of that too.

Anyway, when they finally came, we ordered Oysters Rockefeller. In one shell were two oysters (mutants? just kidding) slathered with melted cheese, topped with orange fish roe. There was a leaf inside, I think basil. But I'm no expert so I could be wrong. Six shells were neatly arranged on top of a bed of rock salt. Wonder if they dispose or recycle the salt. See picture somewhere on this page. Hopefully, below or beside this paragraph.



We also ordered oven poached lapu-lapu. When it came it was engulfed (buried?) in a blanket of suspended foil. I should have taken its picture thus, but I didn't think quickly enough. When the waiter opened the "package", it revealed a shallow bowl of filleted lapu-lapu swimming in clear broth along with some pechay leaves, slices of Chinese chorizo and shiitake mushrooms. Very healthy. Oh, and there were a few clams as well. My friend put two lapu-lapu fillets on my small plate, one chorizo slice, several mushroom slices, one clam and one pechay leaf. again very healthy. not very tasty, but healthy.



we also ordered what I ordered the last time: something like US tender hanging blade. I'm not sure about the exact wording or the sequence of the words. Sounds like it anyway. We asked that the beef be cooked medium well (my friend did; i'd have preferred medium rare). The beef slices were perched against very yummy mushroom risotto along with broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and alfalfa sprouts. I really like this dish so much I may not order differently next time we're in In-yo. Luckily my companions (friends or family) are adventurous, so I get to taste the other entrees in the restaurant.


And because I subscribe to what Gail Gand says "there's always room for dessert" I asked my friends what we should order. i'd have enjoyed the creme brulee or the mango pavlova but someone said we might try the pannacotta. So we did. It was served with very small slices of fruits like grapes, strawberry, green apples, pineapple. Atop the pannacotta was an egg roll (barquillos) shaped like a crescent moon, like in the Muslim flag. Here it is somewhere...



In-yo makes a lot of effort to present everything beautifully. The food they serve look like paintings. This explains why when we eat out and order dessert in other restaurants I get disappointed when the cake plate only has a cake and no art work whatsoever. In-yo has educated me to expect only the best...or at least, pretty entrees.

I almost forgot. My friend ordered a drink which claimed to warm the stomach and melt I forgot what (so she thought it might help her arthritis). It's called apple crumble and here is how it was presented.

No comments: