Sunday, January 20, 2008

Odd food combinations that work

This morning, the mom of a friend gave me a bottle of bagoong. When she handed it to the maid, she told the maid to tell me that I could eat it with crackers or toasted bread. That floored me. I had always associated bagoong with mangoes or with pork binagoongan. With bread and crackers? That was certainly a novelty. When I tried it out, wow, it was great. Perhaps the idea of combining both was in keeping with eating caviar and crackers? I don't really know. But it's a good combination, promise.

Way back when I was in Talisay, I always had barbecued saba with salted peanuts. Why? The maid got both from the market so to save on trips to the market, I'd ask her to get both for me at the same time. To this day, then, whenever I have one, I look for the other. Being in Manila now, it's not always possible.

Yet another food combination I enjoy is that of chocolate and potato chips. Some people find this odd but I have been vindicated. Bon Appetit in Rustans carried potato chips covered with melted chocolate. See? I also like eating potato chips with dikiam. Honestly.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

When my dad was still alive and he needed to spend the day at the farm, his lunch would be bread and salted fish. So one time when I went with him, I went hungry.

I have friends who eat bagoong with banana.

I have a friend who puts jam - usually strawberry jam - with santol.

And when I was younger, I'd eat (1) apples with Maggi liquid seasoning and (2) hamburger - this had to be the ones from the golf club across our house - with fish sauce (patis). Everybody who saw me went "eeew".

antonette said...

Your examples call to mind people's also laughing when I eat ripe mangoes with toyo drizzled over the squares one mango cheek is sliced into. With banana, our family eats strawberry or guava jelly and cheese. But burger with patis? wow. Is the golf club still there?

Anonymous said...

Whoa! Mangoes with toyo isn't weird at all ... I do it all the time and I especially prefer Kikkoman (because there's a sweetish taste compared to the local Silver Swan).

The golf club transferred a long long time ago. I think even before we were in high school. The golf club is now in Binitin, Murcia. I've been there only once (after I graduated from college and somebody told me that the burgers are still being served there). You know, the cook remembered me and served me my favorite hamburger with patis .., on the house!

The old golf club is now Capitolville Subdivision. Since some of the houses there are over 30 years old, this can only mean that the golf club transferred to Binitin when I was about to graduate from grade school or in my early HS years.

antonette said...

I remember Binitin but as Papa wasn't a golfer, I only heard about it. We were never in a golf course. Was the entire Capitolville a golf course? Or just portions of it?