Thursday, January 3, 2008

My Sandals - Indulge Me

Indulge me. When I could walk, I enjoyed wearing heeled sandals, especially the flesh colored ones. they were flattering to the feet. I liked in particular those that closed around the ankle. Even as early as Grade 6, I had favorite adult-looking shoes which I liked wearing with my maong or corduroy mini-skirts. Okay, I liked dressing up, I still do.

Just before I was paralyzed, I had aching knees and feet that would suddenly have cramps, so I resorted to flats, which I bought in several colors. They had tiny leather ribbons on top and looked like ballet shoes, not the pointe, just the regular ballet flats. My sandals were no higher than two inches by then.

Then I was paralyzed. Initially I bought shoes that had heels but then as I no longer had control of my feet, the right foot especially would lie on its side and it was unsightly. Occasionally, I'd get shoes that were flat but as these didn't have straps, they'd shoot out of my foot and up (not that high naman) in the air when my feet became spastic or suddenly tiptoed involuntarily. In fact, during my wedding, I think a shoe came of. Shades of Cinderella, except that the prince charming who picked it up was my neurosurgeon cum godparent.

So lately, I've resorted to flat, strapped sandals. Initially I had sandals that had complex designs like banig on top and sometimes my toenails which the maid would sometimes forget to cut would be caught in them. So twice, I had blackened big toes that... do I go into details? I don't want to, I'm queasy about such things. Suffice it to say, those two nails grew back, thanks God.

And so here are my sandals. The gold one is from T Studio at Rustan's. I bought it for my wedding ninang get-up which explains why it's gold. The black pair with white beads I had made to order at Lila Almario's in Power Plant. Shop is no longer there though. I think I ordered them to wear to formal occasions with my black silk (?) pants. The rest are Grendha sandals which aren't only soft and light, but cost the least. The Grendha sandals are available in Shoe Salon. They have other nice designs, one in particular which I liked had sequins and looked very feminine. Except that these had a strap just below (across) the toes, and garters crossing at the ankle. My feet might not survive in them. But they looked really good when I saw a lady wearing them. Sigh.

My sandals:


T Studio







Grendha



Lila Almario (when my sister's friend saw this, she told my sister, "Taray naman ng sandals ng sister mo." She even took a picture of me in them.)
One of these days, if I have reason to, I want to try Solea sandals. They also look good. But that will be a long time from now. I'm happy with what I have now.

Oh yes, when CROCS first came out and I read such favorable write-ups on them, I wanted to buy myself a pair. So we went off to Rustan's where when I saw the Crocs' uneven surface, I thought this might damage the skin of my feet. Husband said to wear socks with them but I thought these wouldn't look nice on me. So he and my son ended up buying CROCS for themselves. And I just looked at them enviously. Sigh. I wanted to look like Mario Batali or Paul Huang, chef's both with orange versions. Just kidding about looking like them, haha.

No comments: