Saturday, May 24, 2008

Odds and Ends

We went to Shangrila this p.m. and here are a few highlights of the trip to the mall.

Bought two magazines: Yes' June edition and it's 100 Beautiful Faces or something to that effect. I buy Yes monthly without fail, so there have been instances when the magazine has disappointed me: like when it featured jessa Zaragosa. Yes one issue had several pages on Jessa. I'm not a fan. The June issue has a surfeit of articles on Sharon Cuneta, gabby Concepcion and KC Concepcion. Heavens. hello. not everyone wants to read pages upon pages on one family's members. At least there are a few pictures on Rudy Fernandez and his friends. I'm not sure I'll read the articles on the Concepcions and the ex-Concepcion, so chances are, I won't be able to maximize the issue.

The 100 Beautiful People. My son looked at it page by page. I asked, "is Heart Evangelista there?" No, he said. Who else aren't but should be? He said Angel Locsin and Bianca King. I personally believe Nadine Samonte should be there too, aside from Heart. Cheska Garcia even. Oh well...

Then later, in front of National Bookstore, saw this rich looking toddler dressed in a green shirt and long white shorts. He was being tickled silly by his two yayas. Yes, that's right, two yayas. In the process, his diaper fell off one yaya's shoulder. Maybe the yaya has back problems because guess how she picked it up? I would have fainted if I were the mother and witnessed it. She clipped one end of the towel between her big toe and the next, got the thing from between her toes and slung it across her shoulder. Promise, she did do that. Oh my.

We went to Toby's and without thinking, I asked one clerk, "do you have a pedometer?" Then I realized, I must have sounded crazy, asking if they had one, considering that a pedometer measures the number of steps one takes in a day. me, in a wheelchair, asking about a pedometer. To the clerk's credit, he remained stoic as he pointed us to the shelves containing the apparatus. costing P2000 plus, the pedometer is maid in Taiwan. My husband's attention was called to it when some professors from Singapore mentioned it and said walking 10k steps a day is ideal, and a pedometer allows you to keep track. But we didn't buy it. As my husband rationalized, actually you need to use it only once because once you've used it for a day and know the route that allowed you to take 10k steps, then you can simply repeat it day by day. There was a watch that measure heart beat or pulse rate. Too expensive at P5k more or less, so we didn't get that either.

In front of Tokyo Tokyo, Sony had a display of various products, among them Vaios. There was a pink one! SRP is P79k but until tomorrow, display units may be bought at 30% off or for P48k. What a bargain. But wait, a display unit? Remember our Godin experience? I failed to ask if the said units carried a warranty.

Rustan's has a new section on the ground floor: GAP clothes for babies, teens and thin adults. The ladies' sizes are very small, the gentlemen's reach up to 40 inch pants. But some styles cost P4k. A garrison belt costs P1250. Socks cost P900 plus for a set of three. There was one type of sock that sold for close to P500 each. Too expensive.

At the Cook's Exchange portion of Crossings which shares space with the grocery of Crossings, we looked at the many kitchen aids available. Very nice but expensive. In the grocery we bought Lipton Tea Milk which my son said is good.

The fifth floor of Shangrila has a portion that connects to the fourth floor of Rustan's via an escalator. It is Rustan's sale items outlet. My son got 2 Oleg Cassini shirts for just P400 each. I got long tongs (for flipping the meat) for P395, down a hundred. there were several kitchen items available as there were Acca kappa lotions (P795, down P200), Nars makeup, some blouses, etc. Nice notebooks too. My husband showed me a Culture Log which compartmentalizes one's life into Shopping, Entertainment, etc. Minutes later, my son handed it to me and said, "ma, get this for yourself." My husband laughed at the coincidence. Both he and my son thought it was just up my alley. wrong, I said, there wasn't enough space for keeping a shopping log. One entry in this log read "where first seen". Imagine that. How detailed.

Oh, and by the way, are you aware that "Yellow is the new black." In the past years brown was the new black, then whatever else. what a way of expressing transitions/transformations.

No comments: