Friday, November 16, 2007

The Wheelmobile



Tomorrow there is a chance we could not go malling because of a lunch invitation; Sunday, husband has to be in school in the morning for a Fun Run, so chances are he will be too tired to go anywhere in the afternoon.

As I had so many errands I had to accomplish today (pick up my blouse, the Goodsphere which had broken down and been repaired, bond paper for my son, a blouse for the lunch tomorrow), I decided to hire the Wheelmobile. Though I asked that it come at 10:30 as Shangrila opens at 11, Arnel and the Wheelmobile were here by 9 a.m. Arnel texted to say he would just wait outside and was particularly early because he didn't want to be caught in traffic. Much as I wanted to leave right away, it would have been useless so we waited for 1030 before moving.

Our first stop was the Wrap Shop to have a wedding present wrapped. I had bought it in Living Well at the Podium but forgot to have it wrapped. After leaving the package at Wrap Shop, we proceeded to the Food Court to order from House of Minis. This time we got the T-bone steak (P175 only) and it was a good choice. Meat was more tender than the porterhouse we got last week. Also, in lieu of rice, we had bread. Yummy. Before I forget, as I was eating, a burly man clad in a khaki uniform smilingly asked, "would you like me to turn your wheelchair so it will be easier for you to eat?" (I always eat side-view as the tables in restos are generally too low.) He explained how he saw that I was having difficulty slicing what was on my sizzling plate. I answered, "Mababa ang mesa." Then he asked, "Gusto mo ilipat kita?" Wow, how sweet, how thoughtful. I demurred and he asked, "Sigurado ka?" This was a first for me, someone's offering to transfer me to a restaurant seat so I could eat more comfortably. How nice of him, no? Pity I forgot to get his name. I wonder how I can commend him to his bosses.

Bought some Christmas presents, got my blouse from Mico, went to True Value to get the Goodsphere I had repaired. While I got my blouse, I failed to get the Goodsphere as the one in charge wasn't at the store yet. I wasn't particularly bothered because I knew we'd take a while in the mall. We went back to Wrap Shop and while waiting for the bill to be prepared, I saw this lady whose shirt was a bit short, revealing her back between her maong pants and where her shirt stopped. Okay, I was a bit scandalized especially because from the looks of her back, she wasn't young and yet she had a tattoo there. When she turned, I was surprised to see it was Janice de Belen. She wasn't smiling, as usual. I won't say more.

High points of the excursion were the following:

Marks and Spencer, second floor. There was a blouse there, champagne-colored, but the size was not big enough for me. I think the sales clerk's name was Mharlet. She offered to find me one in the other branches, and luckily, the size I needed was available in next-door Megamall. She offered to have someone get in and assured me it would be ready in an hour. She would just text me, she said. Okay, I agreed.

Another highlight was going to Cyma to place take-home orders for husband and son. The waiter was very friendly and gracious though he remarked that it seemed way too early for dinner (it was before 4 p.m.). Ordered chicken satay for the son, fish satay for the husband, and adobo for myself. He suggested we just come back for it and we took his suggestion, in the meantime getting the Goodsphere unit from True Value on the same floor (6th). The sales clerk in TV was apologetic that it took so long for the unit to be repaired, but I assured him it was all right provided that the unit worked. It's humming quietly now and looks so new. I didn't ask if they had replaced it.

After TV, we went back to Rustan's to buy more gifts and pass the time away, while waiting for the Marks and Spencer blouse. While browsing, I received the text message of Mharlet saying the blouse was ready. Alleluia.

Finally when we went home, when I asked Arnel (guy in orange carrying a plastic bag in the picture) how much I would have to pay, he said "Free, pero next time may bayad na." Great. Thanks my dear sister for another enjoyable afternoon at the mall.

(The other picture is the view from where I sat while we were traveling along EDSA. Next time I'll take more pictures)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. I tried to look for the pictures but couldnt find any. Did I miss something?

antonette said...

there are 2 pictures there: one of the side view of the wheelmobile, another of the interior. try looking again? maybe blogger was having problems?