Sunday, November 18, 2007

Should one be embarrassed?

Earlier, I recounted how my classmate and I were wearing the exact same blouse to a luncheon. A friend who read the blog mentioned being in a similar situation in a mall, but that time her kapareho wasn't an acquaintance.

Last night, as I blogged about the incident, I recalled a story that took place more than 30 years ago. I intended to include it but forgot. Anyway, it went this way.

A Chinese classmate, my best friend in college, was asked by her older brother to get a Christmas present for his wife, a dress to be exact. So my friend and I went to Rustan's to get a dress. I recall it was very expensive, costing close to P2000, I think, and to think that was 30 years ago, more or less. The sister-in-law of my friend used it to a concert in Manila Hotel (one of those foreign acts where tickets were so expensive) and at the ladies' room she saw someone wearing the exact same dress.

Should situations like the aforementioned be cause for embarrassment? I really don't know, but it happens.

In fact, there's a TV commercial where the girl who thought she had a pretty dress on walked into a restaurant only to see that her dress was made of the same material as the tablecloth. At first she appeared distressed but eventually decided she would forget it and enjoy herself. That's attitude.

Many years back, I was patronizing Big and Small in Shangrila and bought this blue and white checkered pants (the checks were small) with white flowers containing yellow centers embroidered on them. I was always so happy wearing those pants because they were cool and feminine. Then one day, I saw that the sales clerks in Blue Kitchen, which sold my favorite local deli items, wearing a uniform (I can't now recall if it was the blouse) made of the exact same material. I promptly wrote the owner of Big and Small to complain and she admitted that she had sold the material to the owners of Blue Kitchen. How careless of her. Blue Kitchen is also located in Shang. She apologized, of course and before long, the girls of Blue Kitchen were no longer wearing that uniform.

No comments: