Thursday, November 22, 2007

Sadly...



Last week, I called my friend in Tahanang Walang Hagdanan to ask that my wheelchair be picked up for fixing. In the course of our conversation, she asked, "ma'am, gusto niyo ng bagong wheelchair?" I thought she was selling me a new one. Then she explained that they had several new wheelchairs from the US which they were giving away for free. All I needed to do, she said, was to have a "case" write-up done by a social worker. She said I might not qualify, however. She also mentioned that their wheelchair sales have dipped because of these donated wheelchairs. why? In the past, congressmen would order wheelchairs from TWH for giving to their constituents, but now, there's no need for them to shell out any amount as the wheelchairs are available for free. Poor TWH...



The latest Coke commercial on TV has a situation where a child goes down the car driven by her father who also goes down to see her to the door. Mom opens the door and the child asks her father to come in. Apparently, the situation is of a broken family because the father mutters, "It's different now," after which the wife assures him it's all right for him to join her family, formerly his in-laws, having a meal together. True, there are a lot of broken families around but does a TV commercial have to dwell on it???? I tried hard to reassure myself that the commercial was foreign-made because the father didn't look too Filipino, but I couldn't delude myself enough. Oh well....

Oops, just watched the Coke commercial again and I got the plot a bit wrong. The dad was about to pick up his young daughter and while he was at the door, he was invited in. Sorryyyyyyyyyyy. But the rest of my account basically holds.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You noticed the Coke commercial, too! I thought it was a rather inappropriate statement to make to the little girl... and at Christmastime! Kawawa naman ang inosenteng bata. And that's not too easy for all other 4 or 5 or 6 year-old children to understand. What a theme for Christmas!

Of all the Coke commercials, I like best the one they did when we were in high school and it was first introduced during the Christmas season - "I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony ..." Those are the themes that anybody of any age would easily understand and appreciate.

antonette said...

Yes, that one was nice. Heard Lea Salonga auditioned for that but Lilet was chosen instead. They can show that commercial today and it would still hold, no?