Monday, November 19, 2007

Students Today


Just let my tutee go back to school. He has an exam in Science tomorrow but he left his book in school! No, he didn't forget to bring it. He just decided he didn't need to. This is a common phenomenon among students these days. They always say that they never use it anyway. That claim makes me wonder then, is it the teacher's fault that they don't? Does the teacher give them "everything" which makes them think they don't need to open their books and read them? I'm flabbergasted.

Yesterday, this tutee asked me if he could use the Internet to look for info to complete his notes. Why not your book, I asked. He said, we don't open it in school. Arrgh. The book they use is imported, a Glencoe-published book which if they lose they have to pay P5000 plus for, yes, that's five thousand pesos. I know that for a fact because the classmate of my son lost his rented book and coughed up that much. Sadly, it was for a book that was hardly read.

Post Script: Day after the Science exam, tutee shyly said the exam was easy. He learned so much from reading their textbook. Duhhhhh... When I told this to my son, he said, "We learn to read our books in college." There seems to be something wrong with the way the school is run in the grade school and high school then!?&$%&^%$@

No comments: