Monday, November 19, 2007

Shall We Dance

Last Sunday, at 9 pm, I watched Shall We Dance on Channel 5 for the fourth Sunday in a row. The first time, it was to see Mikee Lee dance, the second to see Mikee Lee dance, the third, for lack of anything better to do, the fourth for the same reason as the third.

I was amused. In the last two weeks, Nina got the nod of the judges, particularly Regine Tolentino and Edna Ledesma. Sure, Nina was the best among the dancers, but even when they gave comments on her style, one thing stood out: they mentioned how she injected ballroom steps into her dance. Now Edna and Regine are the muses of ballroom dancing in the country. And somehow, Nina's dancing reminded me of their styles. The realization made me recall a few things I "learned in college."

While some upperclassmen advised me then to recite in class as once the teacher knew me I'd be sure to get an A, my sister told me that under my English professor who was her teacher in a different school, I should not inject my own opinions but should just give answers that were exactly as she taught them. The formula worked.

But there was a professor for which I got no tip. I discovered how to get an A in his class by accident. One of his long tests was interesting (History) and suddenly I found myself writing the way he sounded. The rest of the semester was a breeze, and I enjoyed the course immensely.

No comments: