Sunday, November 11, 2007

Several treats in one day, wow!

When it rains, it pours. Thursday, late at night, close to 10 pm in fact, I called Wheelmobile to ask if they could send the van over for me to use at 9:30 a.m. Friday. I was surprised to get an immediate answer, and it was a "YES!" I wanted to pick up something from Prudentialife in Galleria in the morning, as around 6:30 p.m. Thursday, one of my guardian angels from the company (see July blog on Prudentialife) called to say the check would be ready in the morning and I should get it then rather than in the pm when there would just be too many people. As my husband didn't want to absent himself from work and as I refused to let the stressful experience of months back enjoy a reprise, I opted to go Wheelmobile.

For once it was late, unlike in the past when it would be around at least 30 minutes before my required time. But my former maid whom I called Thursday night to accompany me (she's more quiet than the ones I have now, and I wanted a restful trip, remember?), was early, she who's wont to be late. SO things balanced out.

We were off in the Wheelmobile shortly after 10 a.m. This time around the wheelmobile wasn't too comfortable, a bit bumpy in fact, and I suspect it was the first edition (They now have 3 wheelmobiles, with a fourth in the pipeline). Nonetheless, I was determined to enjoy myself.

The driver was confident when I told him where I wanted to go: Galleria Corporate Center. He dropped us off at its entrance, following which we waited a few minutes for an elevator that took us to the sixth floor. Hmm, the guard in front of blue curtains was positioned the same way he was last July. I would have thought he had turned into a statue except that this time, the distribution of checks was on the 6th floor. When we entered the room, there were just 2 Prudentialife employees, a lot of empty seats, and possibly, two or 3 clients. I went to the table behind which a man stood, announced that I was there to get a check. He said, "Where's your stub?" I was dumbfounded, "Stub? I faxed the papers to Enna Catap in Makati." The magic words, because they immediately told him who I was. He promptly got my folder, had me sign two sheets, and released my check. We left immediately.

As we were on our way to the elevator, I texted the driver to pick us up where he had dropped us off. I then called him to be sure he got the message. Funny thing: I got a text from him that read, "Ngayon na po, mam?" I said "Yes." He must have been incredulous because when I asked him how much he had paid for the parking, he said, he hadn't paid anything as he hadn't entered the parking area yet. He was fourth in line, he said. Done. So I said, let's go to Shangrila.

It was barely 11 a.m., opening time for Shang (I thought they had since advanced it to 10 -- luckily the wheelmobile was late, otherwise we'd have waited in shang a longer time). The security guard asked if I was headed for a check-up before letting the van proceed to the parking building. I haugtily told the maid, "tell him, shopping." They presume all people in wheelchairs are sick, haha. Anyway, we were allowed in and Shang looked like a ghost town. Most stores weren't yet lit. First destination was the Food Court. I was just so hungry. Had porterhouse steak (mini) from House of Minis. This came with soup, rice and vegetables on the side. Cost: 182 pesos, I think. Plus softdrinks of P35. Not bad, because the steak was good. Eating in House of Minis makes me feel very good because they don't charge an arm and a leg for good steak. Sure, it wasn't black Angus or Wagyu, but it was good, local Filipino steak. So there.

I had everything listed in my cellphone: where to go, what to buy in Shang, and I did most of them, all the time conscious of the time -- because Wheelmobile charges by the hour and because I wanted to get my son some sushi from a restaurant in Libis that closed at 2:30 p.m. We made it. By close to 2, we left Shangrila and proceeded to OMAKASE which I had called to prepare my order. Done.

When we got home, I asked the driver how many hours we had used the wheelmobile so I could issue a check (I went on the trip with a littlee money of my own, a certain amount from a sister who knew I would make lakwatsa and wanted to treat me). He said I needn't pay as another sister had contributed to the Foundation, so they let me use the wheelmobile for free. Wow, blessings galore. I was smiling widely by then. It was 3 p.m.

Shortly before 3:30, I asked my son to get ready to pick up something from Eliazo from his cousin. His cousin's tita, and therefore my cousin, had something for me. When he came back, he had an HP Laser Jet box containing 4 styropor boxes and one plastic box. I smelled the sytropor's contents and without opening the box, I knew it was yet another treat: sate babi from Roli's! Four orders of them. Hahaha. What a day! I felt so loved, really!!!

Soon, I'll have to hire the Wheelmobile again to finish my Christmas shopping. I haven't yet decided on what day to go but for sure, it will be Shang yet again so I can pick up my ninang blouse at MICO. I like Shang a lot. It's well lit and people are friendly, most of them anyway.

No comments: