Thursday, February 7, 2008

Two text messages

The first is a joke from a friend:

Kwento ng isang OFW. "I was so depressed last night I called LIFELINE. Got connected to a call center in _______(name of a country). I told them I was suicidal. They got all excited and asked if I could drive a truck."

The second from 639166229259:

Congrats! Ur SIM# had won Php.780,000.00 2nd prize draw last nov/28/2007. Pls call me now.I'm Alex d. cuevas. (auditor of Phils. Charity Foundation) Per DTI-NCR No.1548 series of 2007.

To the second text I texted back, "Wow, how lucky I am. Two weeks ago, I also won. Please donate the amount to the PGH Children's Cancer Ward."

I never "won" again after that.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I used to send reply with sarcastic messages until a friend who's in the IT industry warned me not to do it because a reply would only confirm that our sim/cellphone numbers are active. He said that would be an invitation to more spam.

But twice or thrice in the past when I got these messages, I was tempted to call back and bawl 'em out. :(

antonette said...

Wow, thanks for the warning. A few weeks ago, got mail from someone I knew and she wrote she was asking for $ as she was in a prison in Nicaragua. Sounded so odd that she'd be asking for help when she's rich. So I didn't reply to that. I won't reply to such text messages then as the one I posted.