Tuesday, February 26, 2008

My Birthday

I thought the world would end on my birthday because I received a lot of greetings two days before, a day before, and at midnight. But the 26th has come and gone without incident, thank God.


Among the interesting presents I got were embutido from a friend and two love birds in a nice, lavender cage with a swing from her sister. I hope they survive despite the innumerable cats we have. My son took a picture of the birds and their stalker -- one of the cats. Reminded me of the cartoons - Tweety and Puddy tat. Whatever.

Yesterday morning, my birthday, with my sister and two maids, I wheeled to Pancake House two blocks away along the busy Katipunan Road for breakfast. The travel was a mite scary as vehicles zoomed past. I just prayed we'd survive and luckily we did. When we got to the resto, I pointed out to my sister, "Uy, may meeting!" In one table were six matrons (older than us) with ballpen and paper discussing we couldn't hear what. My sister and I settled down and placed our orders.

Before long, we heard the waiter approaching the table of matrons asking something like: "Hindi ba kayo o-order? Bawal dito yan." The rich-looking matrons hadn't ordered but were using the premises? What gall. The resto actually wasn't full so they weren't depriving the resto of customers but I guess that they just sat on yakking peeved the waiters. So they started ordering though the lead lady waved the waiter away saying she wasn't ordering. Some time later, the waiter came back after it appeared that they had consumed their orders. We couldn't hear what he said but one lady said, "10 minutes na lang." Apparently, they weren't ready to vacate the place within that period because they ordered again. Atrocious.

After breakfast, I went home with the maid and before long my tutee arrived. Earlier that morning his mom had sent a box of carrot cupcakes. As we tutored, my tutee was very cheerful and said, "I'm not complaining. It's your birthday kasi" despite the several pages of reviewers I had prepared for him. I served him some merienda and asked, "teacher, nagdedeliver kayo?" Found that funny because his mom has a restaurant, and here he was asking if we delivered food he liked. A few days ago, he was taking a long time to be picked up and I was impatient as we'd finished tutoring and there he was still in the sala with me. I asked for my box of cake ingredients (pre-mixed) and started to prepare the cake as we chatted on. I asked if he helped his mom bake and he said she always shooed him away. A day later, as we were tutoring and about to finish, I told him to text to be picked up so he wouldn't have to wait. He said, "Di bale, magluluto ka? Gusto ko manood." I said I wasn't cooking and only did the last time as my son was expecting visitors. My tutees become my nephews/sons somehow. Heart-warming. Sometimes, instead of addressing me as "teacher," they call me "tita". Once they even said, "ma." Anyway, back to the 26th.

In the afternoon, I had the maid wheel me to church (my husband's arm is still in a sling while my son was bathing -- I didn't want to be late). My husband walked astride us. It was drizzling but well, it was my birthday, and I didn't really want to spend it without hearing mass. After mass, my son wheeled me to the tony neighborhood restaurant as the showers continued. The trip was rather long, made worse by the darkness and the drizzle, not to mention that asphalted only roads. I'm sure my son wasn't having an easy time but he wasn't complaining. We ate at Inyo, yet again, my son's choice. Special enough without having to spend for the Wheelmobile which could have taken us farther off. I didn't bring my camera and regretted it. Reason I didn't was that we were on foot and I didn't want to risk losing it to holduppers. Our neighborhood is not free of them: the bag of the manager of a corner restaurant was snatched as she was about to enter the restaurant she managed, the laptop of a Korean student was similarly snatched. So was the bag of young teen (then) star, Maxene Magalona.

So why was it a pity that I didn't have my camera? The rain always has a charming effect on nature. In fact as I wheeled out our driveway, I saw the rocks gleaming from the rain. At Inyo, I the trees and the overhanging **** ( I don't know what they're called) looked so pretty. And the food we ordered were, as usual, presented in a special manner. The baked sushi was tasty and so were the other entrees. We ordered mango pavlova to end the meal and it was huge. Four could easily have shared it but my husband and I had to consume most of it as our son doesn't like fruits too much.


Anyway, this birthday was special in so many ways -- thoughtful cousins (sent tapa from Bacolod), friends (sent pajamas from Bacolod,another sent roses and a set of toiletries with a rose scent) and family (a pair of pearl earrings).


My teenage son finally gave me a gift, 4 gifts in fact: his saving the video in his flash drive so I could upload and watch it very often and 3 DVDs of Koreanovelas: Coffee Prince, Princess Hours and one more. I'll check the title later and upload the pictures later too. Got it. It's Spring Waltz.



No comments: