Saturday, February 2, 2008

Age cannot be an excuse for bad manners

This blog is written in reference to my horrendous prom night. Back then, as I rued what had transpired, I tried to excuse my prom date's deed by saying he was young. But then it occurred to me that he wasn't that young.

Back when I was in grade six, the grade seven son of my mom's friend needed a date. The two moms agreed: I was my mom's friend's son's date.

From the time he picked me up to the time he brought me home, I only felt special. He opened the car door, got food for me, was a gentleman all throughout the evening. So I guess breeding, upbringing determine the extent of how courteous, considerate, etc. a person is. Brought up properly, a Grade Seven boy can be a better date than a Sophomore high school boy. Yes, my prom date was a year younger than me.

I rest my case.

No comments: