Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Truth and Accountability, and then Some



from sports.freedomhomeschoolers.com


Hired the Wheelmobile to attend this mass at the Gesu last Monday. My husband said he had a basketball game so I didn't want him to change his plans for me. Went with my sister, instead.

We were at Gesu before 5:30 even as the mass was scheduled at 6 pm. Didn't want to be too conspicuous because the Wheelmobile, to begin with, is so huge it is bound to attract attention.

Initially, there weren't too many people, but as my sister pointed out, we were early. So was Cory Aquino, dressed in a canary yellow blouse and black pants. Behind her were her daughters Ballsy and Viel. Other notables eventually were: Tong Payumo, Gina de Venecia, Ting Jayme and family, the Sumilao farmers, Bro. Luistro of La Salle, lots of Jesuits. My sister saw Mar Roxas, I didn't.

The mass was led by Fr. Mario Francisco, SJ, acting provincial of the Jesuits.

The mass was generally uneventful and made even more so by the fact that towards the end of the mass, I sensed an incoming text message (my phone was on silent mode but I could feel the vibration). After the mass, when I checked, I had a text message from my husband: he had dislocated his right shoulder. It had been "replaced" (re-installed?) at the Moro Lorenzo clinic and he was all right, he said. When I asked if he could pick me up he said he wouldn't be able to lift me into the car. Oh my. I had sent the Wheelmobile off, thinking my husband could pick me up after his game. When I texted the Wheelmobile driver, asking if he could come back (this was 3 hours after he had dropped me off), he apologized but refused. He was back home in Pasay, while the vehicle was in Makati. My son texted where I was because he had walked to mass from the house after a group meeting and couldn't find us. when he finally came, I told him about his father's predicament. He said it would be difficult for his papa to drive so he said he'd just walk home and get the car. He assured me he'd try to get me into the car so I told him to bring over two maids. Shortly after he left, he called that he might not be able to make it immediately as traffic was heavy, he noted. But it wasn't too long after that he arrived with his dad, a sling propping up the latter's arm, and two maids. Husband directed my son and the maids on how to get me into the car. We drove him and my sister to the latter's house where her driver was tasked to take my husband to the ER of St. Luke's. X-ray pronounced there was no fracture, but it will be at least two weeks before he can drive. It will be even longer before he can carry me and we can go out normally. My son said we can still go out, he'll take care of carrying me. I don't want to risk having another injury in the family so I guess, we'll just hire the Wheelmobile if there is a compelling reason to go out. Thing is the Wheelmobile cannot easily be scheduled the way a taxi can. Oh well, adjust we must.

For instance, my son is going to a debut Saturday. That will be late in the evening in Makati. Plan was for husband and me to take him, wait it out in Serendra, pick him up as soon as he wants to go home. Another option was to book in a hotel so we wouldn't have to drive quite a distance at a late hour, possibly even in the early morning. Why do I want to avoid such (Driving home late after a party)? The number of road accidents in the news scares me, usually involving drunken drivers. So while you may be sober, the guy in the other car may no be. Therefore, I'd rather spend for peace of mind and safety's sake. But now, given the dislocated shoulder, option 2 isn't feasible either. So option 3: hire a driver. Hopefully, this one is possible. Will wait for word from a former driver of mine who now works for my sister. How unsettling this is but I guess, it's an eye-opener of sorts.

For one, should a 51-year old still play basketball? (how old was Jaworski when he retired from the PBA? How old was my father when he quit playing tennis because he injured his inner thigh?) Months back, when my son found out his father was going to play basketball again, he said, "no, na." Years back, when he and his dad played basketball ( a very rare occurrence, to begin with), his dad fell and fractured his ankle. But the child who is father to the man is not listened to by a stubborn man. Oh well.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch! I am sorry to hear this. I hope he's feeling better now. Will this mean you won't be able to do your weekend malling?

I know how painful this is. My brother G and I (almost everyone in the family has torn ligaments or something) are used to dislocating either a knee (I can put mine back by myself, it's almost like shifting gears when driving) or our shoulders. It happens often so it's no longer that painful. You get kabalan to the pain.

antonette said...

of course it means I cannot go malling unless we hire the wheelmobile. he's going to the doctor this a.m. I even wonder if he'll be allowed to carry me ever. hayyy. pero galing mo ha, you can put your knee back? He has a co-teacher who said he has dislocated his shoulder 20 times and can put it back too. how long does healing take?

Anonymous said...

If the ligaments are torn, it will never heal until he gets it operated on like they did with my knee (the left one, they "stapled" the ligaments back and put some kind of nuts and bolts where part of my knee cap broke into pieces ... now, it is the right one that I "put back" when it goes this way and that).

Yes, that's the sad part. He might never be able to carry you again. Ahay.

antonette said...

The doctor whom he saw this morning said, he could still carry me. But he also suggested that if it's dislocated again, to consider surgery. Doctor also said when he saw the x-ray, "This was fractured before." If he was right, that means what my husband said was "frozen shoulder" was a fracture gali. Imagine.