Monday, June 4, 2007

some irksome Filipino ways

A number of people will undoubtedly take issue with some of the points I'll make, but everyone is entitled to one's opinion, just as I am. So here goes.

Years back, an executive in a graduate institution emailed everyone, "Don't call me tita or Mommy, because you are not my relative." I found that funny because as early as then, it was the fashion to call people thus, though I never did. Later, though, I saw her point when a coparent called me "mommy." I wanted to tell her, "hey, we're just as old as each other." I somehow resented the tag.

Then there's the matter of "pag mano." It's funny because where I come from (the Visayas), a kiss on the check is more de rigeuer than a "mano". So when the friends of my son take my hand I continue to be taken aback and if I'm close to the boy, I say, in jest, "Ay ayoko!" I thought I was the only one who did that but I've noted a number of other mothers saying as much or even demanding "Kiss na lang."

A few minutes ago, I called up a tenant of my sister's and she started talking about her problems to me as though we had been friends for ages. She was talking so fast and I couldn't even figure out most of what she was saying. It was just so absurd. Plus she used cuss words very easily and though I alone could hear her plus I was alone in the room, I visibly balked when I heard her utterances.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ay, my experience and reaction are different from yours.

Since my father is Tagalog, we've been exposed to "pag mano" (don't they call this "men" or something?) very early in our lives and since we were brought up in the Visayas, we're also used to kissing all the titos and titas in sight. That, notwithstanding, I wasn't prepared for the time when my students - particularly those who have already graduated - would kiss me when they see me in the mall or when they come to visit me. Eventually I got used to it and, of course, I'd prefer it to a "mano" because the latter makes me feel very, very old. :)

antonette said...

you know i've noticed that here in manila, families tend to "mano po" rather than kiss their grandparents and aunts and uncles. while that reflects respect, i prefer the warmth of a kiss from a relative.