Thursday, June 7, 2007

Movies: Streetcar Named Desire, The Notebook

Was watching Streetcar Named Desire on VCD and dozed off before I was suddenly awakened by the ruckus created by Stanley Kowalski who was throwing things around including his sister-in-law's radio. Marlon Brando looks so good here! What a far cry from The Godfather so many years later. But I guess that's the prerogative of any human being -- to grow old and big in time. Very intense actor.

Vivien Leigh -- her role was very irksome. So cloying and simpering. I have yet to finish the first disc, though. I guess watching old movies takes some effort because first of all, it's black and white and the pacing is a tad slow. I'm sure many will disagree with me here.

Also the movie reminds me very much of Lino Brocka's works. Dark and heavy. Dingy setting. In that sense, I guess, it's not entertainment, at least for me, as I prefer movies to be light and breezy, brightly lit and clean.

last night I watched The Notebook. It was fine although there were some dragging moments. The story line was not anything new and reminded me of some movies I watched in the past. It was touching nonetheless as it had twists and turns that were totally unexpected/unusual. Like the letters -- all 365 of them.

No comments: