Sunday, June 24, 2007

Food Favorites

Just today I bought two loaves of Le Coeur's latest concoctions: one cheese loaf and one coconut loaf. I have yet to try the cheese loaf which I principally bought for my son. But I've eaten two slices of the coconut loaf and it's so yummy. Reminds me of the panso we used to buy from the town bakery in Talisay way back 40 or so years ago, and more recently, years ago too, actually, but not more than ten, of the pan de coco a sister sent me, possibly because she remembered our childhood days. While those of yore were basically candied coconut in bread, the version of Le Coeur's more high class -- it's butter with coconut. Sinful, no?

A few months back, on the other hand, I tried the Yoku Moku brand of a take on lengua de gato with filling and it was so special I asked a professor I work for who's Japanese if she knew of it. She said they were high-end cookies and so I decided that was the first I tried those special cookies was the last as well. Then my sister said she was going to Japan, so I took the chance of asking her to buy me some. She did. She got the double chocolate flavor and though I'd promised I'd just get one, I had to break that promise and get two. Some months back, I got what must be a clone, branded D'asses. Quite good too, and luckily for me, they were half price each time I got them in Unimart. Lucky. Also tried their barquillos type of cookies and it's very good.

Another recent discovery is the All Natural Dolcetto wafer rolls. Bought the vanilla flavored one and it's a wow. A bit costly at Php88 plus pesos in Rustan's but it's a definite treat.


Then there's Neapolitan Kisses. It's not available in the Philippines yet, I think, but my son's friend gave him a pack from the States and it's such a treat. It's strawberry, white chocolate, and milk chocolate in one. Reminds me of the Silver Bell ice cream I used to eat in a cone (drumstick) in high school. Almost everyday, when we were dismissed from school, I was in high school then, I'd drop by this shop of a friend of my mom's to buy Silver Bell in half gallon cans, or the drumstick. Wonder where that brand went. It was more special than Magnolia, definitely. The tin cans where in royal blue with the brand Silver Bell printed in, you guessed it, silver.

Speaking of ice cream, I miss Magnolia's cafe blanco, coffee mangosteen and I forgot the name of one variant which had pineapple, cherry and something green. Now I remember the flavor: rainbow pineapple. What a pity they're no longer available.

And speaking of things no longer available, I still recall Miladay butter toffees that came in cans with cross-stitch patterns. And Nestle Cracker Milk chocolate. Those were bliss.

So with Mrs. Roig's birthday cakes. And Vir's paella, baked macaroni, escabeche, beefsteak, chicken tinola, brazos, date loaf, relleno, embutido, morcon -- wow Vir was a real talent in the kitchen. Oh no, I nearly forgot her siomai and siopao too. I guess when we see each other in the next life, hopefully heaven, she'll cook all those for me again and I can just eat and eat and eat with mama and Jun, Lolo and Nene, without fearing I'd gain so many pounds and inches. A classmate who passed away years ago can join us. How she loved Vir's brazo de mercedes and cheese pimiento sandwich. I miss Mama's orange cake too.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, how come I never tried Vir's paella? Daya! I remember her siomai, of course, but not her siopao. Daya again! And what about that pinwheel peanut-y thing?

You should have compiled Vir's recipes because I can't wait for the next life.

Welcome to the blogosphere! You are certainly one great addition to our community. Yehey!

antonette said...

hay, although some of the recipes are still around, she had that special touch that somehow made what she cooked truly special...

thanks for complying with my request ha.