Sunday, July 1, 2007

Buying Stuff for the House

Yesterday, just before we left for Holy Mass, I saw the toilet seat cover and it looked uber-unsightly. Being in a wheelchair, my back is usually turned to it when I enter the bathroom, so it was only yesterday when I saw the state it was in. Earlier the maid told me to get a replacement for the bathroom shelves on top of the toilet bowl as it was about to fall apart. So when I saw the toilet seat's condition, I decided it was buying for the toilet day.

When I told my husband about the toilet seat (my maid said it has mushrooms sprouting-- benefit of the doubt though without my glasses on I saw brownish thingies which I thought were grains of rust) he went to the other room where, lo and behold, he found the replacement we bought months back but which he hadn't gotten round into installing. Men... the ultimate procrastinators. At any rate, it meant buying the shelves na lang.

When we were in Rustan's, my husband suddenly thought of getting a curtain rod for the other toilet. The one before had sagged and was removed. We didn't bother to have it replaced because I thought it would mean drilling the walls again. I hate it when walls are bored because what if suddenly you don't want what ever you put in there any longer? Then you get a gaping hole which is so unsightly.

Anyway in Rustan's we saw this curtain rod that had no screws. Instead its length was adjustable. One just had to tug to get the desired length. And it cost less than P400. So we got that. Unfortunately the only shower curtain in Rustan's that would have suited the yellow bathroom had bamboo prints (nice enough) but was too costly: P2800. Further, it didn't seem water proof. So scratch the idea. Decided to put up a spare shower curtain in the house with Chinese (Japanese?) characters in black and red, hardly a nice fit for the yellow everything in the bathroom But it just had to do.

After getting the curtain rod, we went in search of the toilet cabinet for putting in the shampoos and other stuff. It was virtually an exercise in futility as all the ones available in Rustan's were these things you suspend around the shower. Way too small. We saw a possibility in a store whose nice beds cost a whopping P170 plus thousand. It would have been okay except that it was made of something which we were sure would be rusty in no time.

So off to True Value and guess what, we got something similar -- we're almost sure it will rust in no time. Clerk said it was made of brass but it was chrome plated, ergo a certain rust candidate. He suggested then to spray paint it with metallic paint. I hope it will take some time before this happens. Thing cost P3800 plus.

At True Value we also saw the lineup of water pumps which we might have to get soon to address our flood problem. Our neighbor got in touch with a contractor who's charging P120,000 for putting up a new drainage system. (our system is connected to the neighbor's or theirs is to us.) Getting the pump would cost us P8k plus, and maybe, labor just P1.5 k.

No comments: