Sunday, July 22, 2007

Pathetic or funny? You decide.

Case 1: Years back, yes several years back, when CDs weren't yet in existence and Betamax was it, I'd often borrow from the neighborhood shop that delivered Betamax tapes for rent. I can't recall now the title of the tape I borrowed but what I'm certain of is that it was of a Filipino movie. Just when the movie was about to end, however, the tape stopped. The last few scenes weren't shown. I called the lady in charge of the business (I think she was a maid who doubled as shop girl) and she didn't seem surprised. Guess how she offered to address my dilemma? No she didn't say she'd send me a complete version. She instead suggested, "Gusto mo ikwento ko sa iyo ang ending?" I was dumbfounded. I don't think I ever borrowed from that shop again.

Case 2: I have this maid (yes, she's still with me). Years back I asked her to have a few reviewers for my tutees photocopied. I think there were four pages in all. When she came back, I asked for the change (I had given her one five-peso coin). She said, "ay guin ubos ko na lang pakopya." In other words, she had one extra copy made -- which I didn't need. Rather than get mad I vowed to always try to make sure I gave her just enough each time I wanted something photocopied. This maid, too, is the type who would give me the nearest medicine she finds whenever I'd ask her for something specific. Good think I'm not too sick to notice. Mankind should thank their lucky stars she isn't a nurse or doctor. Speaking of which...

Case 3: Ages ago, I was prescribed medicine for an allergy. I cannot remember now if it was Komed or Kwell but the thing is, the drugstore gave me one instead of the other. Luckily, I read what the medicine was for and saw it wasn't for what my ailment was all about. I called the doctor to clarify and it was the other medicine the drugstore ought to have given me. Doctors ought to have better penmanships, really, although of course not all of them have indecipherable handwriting.

No comments: