Friday, June 8, 2007

Mangan in Galleria

Yesterday, we were in Galleria after an absence of several years. While a number of stores and restaurants were as we last remembered them, there were quite a few that were new. One of them was Mangan, of which I read about only this week although in reference to a different branch.

Before we ordered, I noticed the set up. The plates weren't the usual flat ones. They were almost like soup bowls thought not too deep in that they were somehow elevated. Each set of utensils was placed atop a folded table napkin that lined a blue plastic container--one container per customer. Apparently the restaurant wanted to be different and to create an impression.

The wall I faced had broken pieces of stone which had portraits of Filipino heroes - distinguished and otherwise. there was one of Jose Rizal, another of Fidel Ramos, Cory Aquino and a young girl. Initially, when I saw Cory's I thought it was because she was Kapampangan (which mangan is). But then come to think of it she is of Tarlac vintage, Ramos of Pangasinan, and Rizal of Laguna. Who was the young girl who had a portrait? If the waiters and waitresses looked more approachable, I would have asked. Thing is they looked bored or uncaring. So I was too scared(?) to ask.

Shortly after we ordered, we were given a small oval plate with string-like food. Think Piknik potato strings. I asked the waiter what it was (now, when it comes to food, I don't hesitate to ask because that has something to do with my health/tummy) and was told these were camote strips. Cute. Taste was okay, nothing spectacular.

My husband eventually ordered bangus a la pobre even though the waiter said that their only boneless bangus was the bangus belly. I asked for suggestions and the girl said umba, a sweetish pork dish, she said. I don't exactly relish sweetish meat dishes so I asked about the adobo. Which was better, that or the chicken barbecue? I was told chicken barbecue so I ordered that. When I looked again at the menu, I saw okoy. I wasn't sure if it was in Mangan where okoy was recommended so I called the waiter. He said it was infrequently ordered and suggested the fresh lumpia. Okay, I ordered that. I wanted to eat healthy. Waiter asked me what type of rice I wanted. I asked back, doesn't my chicken have java rice? He said no. I said but it's here. Then he absently said, "siya pala," pointing to my husband. So my husband said, "garlic rice."

The food took very long to come to the table. It wasn't as though there were lots of customers as there were only 3 or 4 tables that were occupied. It wasn't as though there were only a few personnel as there were plenty. As we waited patiently, my husband joked, "maybe that's why they served the sweet potato strings. we're supposed to each one string at a time." I gave him a wry smile.

When the food was finally served, the chicken was oh so good. perfectly cooked, no signs of blood even near the bones. The skin was crispy and it wasn't burnt. The sweetness was just right. Not too cloying. Better than Reyes or Serye barbecue chicken which has burnt skin.

The lumpia was disappointing. Its egg wrap didn't look fresh and parts of the wrap had an orange hue (think atsuete) that was dried up. There was a peanut sauce which my husband thought was for his bangus that was as things were, swimming in sauce. Why the error? The small bowl of sauce wasn't placed beside the lumpia. When I asked my husband how the bangus was, he said, "ok pero matinik". Oh well, so much for eating healthy. Oh back to the lumpia. THe waiter told me it was a best-seller, but after I ate it, I wondered why.

As my husband was finishing his fish, I decided to ask for the bill and for my leftovers to be prepared for take out. The bill came quickly enough but the food took so long to be wrapped that I was able to notice my surroundings' details. The menu was painted (etched) on a panel of mirrors. The entrees were listed but not their prices. Beyond the wall but visible through the rectangular opening for food from the kitchen to come through was a sign that read "Authorized liquor dealer" or something to that effect. As the door to the kitchen swung on the other hand, I saw the BIR permit.

As we waited on and on for the take out, reminding two food servers, maybe even three or four, I changed my mind about Mangan. Earlier, I was rationalizing the long time it took them to serve our food thus: "maybe they cook everything from scratch so the food will be fresh when it comes to our table". But the food that finally came then was not sizzling hot. The lumpia especially looked jaded. benefit of the doubt there but to wrap food for take out and take more than ten minutes to do that -- beats me. As we prepared to leave, I told my husband, "i won't leave a tip. I've no plans of eating here again." He didn't demur.

As we left, I saw the waiter glance at the small dish for tips. He looked incredulous when he saw that it was empty. Another waiter looked as well.

I guess they'll think we're such cheapskates, but I don't care. If service is lousy, why should I bother about a tip?

No comments: