Monday, June 11, 2007

Mortality and God's mission for each one of us

Tonight, an 80-year old man asked me, "Take care of the foundation ha?" As his question caught me off-guard, I immediately nodded my assent, while all the time wondering and wishing to ask him, "How sure are you that I'll outlive you?"

Only last March, the board of the foundation met and one of the members, a 58-year old, was present, hale and hearty. April 28, a few days beyond a month after the meeting, he was gone. The 80-year old, on the other hand, underwent an angioplasty last December and he's doing very well, thank God, giving talks left and right, traveling to Baguio, Cagayan de Oro, and wherever he's called. His thinking is that it's God calling him to be there, so he goes wherever, whenever. His thinking has so influenced me that when someone calls to ask for tutoring, I find myself accepting. No, it's not the money because there are tutees I don't charge. Rather, it's the feeling that God has sent me this child to tutor because He thinks I can be of help. I then trust God to give me the energy and wisdom to fulfill the mission he has tasked me with, and more often than not, maybe even every time, things have worked out somehow.

No comments: