Friday, August 8, 2008

Neither here nor there (wala diri, wala didto)

Apparently, this will be a posting of random thoughts, reflections, occurrences, etc. Individually, they do not merit separate postings, hence the lumping.

*****************
Yesterday, a high school classmate of my son's walked home with him. Then the two of them started jamming, if one could call it that, given that their individual instruments were a flute and a piano. When I joined them as a spectator I asked if they were preparing to play at a wedding or party. The flutist (my son's classmate) said, "No, tita, I've just been experiencing a musical drought." He used to be the flutist of their high school theater group and now that they're in college, he is no longer affiliated with any music/theater group so plays for his pleasure, by his lonesome. I asked why he didn't play to/for his girlfriend. His reason: they're no longer "on" and I asked why. (I'm a very curious tita, if you notice). He said she's leaving for abroad in a year or so's time. Though I said "oh" simply, I was truly impressed. Apparently this young man thinks long term and while others will choose to retain the status quo and just break up when the girl leaves, this young man opted to cut it short as early as now because he said "what for? She's leaving."

**********

My cousin who's unaffected because she doesn't live in Metro Manila, will be amused but the man in pink has given me and several others another reason not to vote for him in 2010. He has closed down a U-turn in Katipunan thereby crowding the existing one in front of a school. The alternative -- to drive quite a distance to White Plains almost, to make a U-turn so one can get into Ateneo and Miriam if you're coming from the South. Those coming from the north are not similarly penalized, lucky them. My husband, on the other hand, has to leave early to get to school or drive a distance if we're not early enough, thereby spending more on fuel. Someone consequently wondered, "is he a stockholder of Petron or something?" My son suggested that my husband walk instead, which my son does every day, but my husband said he sweats too profusely to take the route -- walking to school that is.

***********

My soon to be ex-boss came to our table last night to say hello. The last time when we were in a wake together, I realized too late it was he I saw, while he didn't recognize me at all, apparently. When I told this to a friend who also worked for him, she texted him and told him (as I'd told her) that I failed to recognize him immediately because of his new hairstyle. Last night he jested, "O, pareho na hairstyle ko." I interjected, "hindi pa rin eh." He retorted, "Hindi pa rin ba?" Parang hindi. Or maybe I was thinking of his face-sake, a Korea telenovela actor. Now I am confused. Oh well...

*************

At the dinner table also last night, someone was saying how a priest was like a dead saint in that when he raised the host during Consecration he took a minute. One of those in the table asked, "Inabot mo ba?" I was so amused I laughed a while there, while the man describing the priest kept talking, apparently unaffected by the carino brutal. Meanwhile, the husband of the latter saw how I was so laughing that he said, "ganyan talaga yan" in reference to his wife. The table was a lot of fun, really, and a pity it was that everyone left not too long after.

**************

My son was at the table with us where there were two other young ones, relative to us old fogies. After dinner, one of my son's kinakapatids (whose family hosted the affair) walked over and asked my son to join their table of young ones. My son promptly stood up to do so, leading one father to remark, "oo nga, ba't dito siya sa matatanda?" failing to realize his even younger daughter was falling asleep in our table. I was so touched by the gesture of the kinakapatid of my son who's two years older than my son.

No comments: