Sunday, August 24, 2008

I feel so stressed

Just this morning, my tutee who's coming for tutoring this pm sent pointers for his Math exam. He also sent his Filipino textbook and texted the coverage for the latter exam tomorrow to be from page 1 to page 145. I wanted to scream. In the first place, I am not an expert in Filipino. In the second place, the book is so wordy that one has to plough through all those pages to get the main points. No idea how much, it being the first time I see the book.

I texted the mom to say I didn't think we could cover everything and she said "OH no. Please try."

Hello. Her son joined the PHilippine team for some sport so he missed classes for two weeks. Friday the son came for tutoring but was constantly glancing at the clock. I asked, "You have to go somewhere?" He answered: "Practice at 3:30." He arrived for tutoring at around 2:10. I asked if he'd come Saturday and he said he'd try but they had a game in Laguna. He asked if he could come Sunday, I said to text. He didn't. So it's this pm he is coming. Why not this morning? He has a game.

I am no miracle worker, am not even a magician/prestidigitator/charlatan. So I don't know...

********
Another source of stress: my Manila City Hall trip tomorrow to get my son's birth certificate corrected. I'm truly apprehensive. A friend who's been there, done that intimated that when she was interviewed for a correction on her birth certificate, the interviewer kept asking "KUmpleto na ba yan?" On hindsight, she said, the lady might have been hinting at lagay. But my friend said she was clueless, so she didn't budge.

What do I do if and when I'm confronted with the same? Deadma? I certainly won't give in. Maybe I can call the husband of my friend who's a nephew of Alfredo Lim's. What a dilemma...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Drop that tutee!

You know, when a student glances at the clock, I really really get pissed off and at least 2 or 3 times, I sent students out of my room because of that. Ka insulting.

Besides, "you can take a horse to the stream but you can't force it to drink." Tell his mom that.

As for "hints" from government employees, I have a friend who has a neat trick - she asks for the government employee's name and she writes it in a small notebook and she explains that she wants "details about the transaction... just in case". Sometimes, if the person is not dense, they get the hint. :)

antonette said...

Great suggestion re taking down the clerk's name. Just now my maid called. Sent her to city hall to submit photocopies of my transcript of records, a Land Bank certificate, etc. They asked to see the original. They are really so determined to make it difficult for people -- what kind of culture is that? It's like a comment many people have said of MMDA -- they're there not to ease the flow of traffic but to catch seemingly errant drivers. What kind of mentality is that?

Unknown said...

Some people derive their satisfaction from that. They think that because we have to do more (i.e. suffer more), they are therefore "important".

antonette said...

Wow, that might be the reason gali. Pa importante effect. That is why a lot of the time, bosses are nicer than their minions, no? They can be so supercilious.