Sunday, August 31, 2008

Disturbing

A few minutes ago, my husband called. A fourth year college student took his life yesterday after a failed relationship. His ex-girlfriend chose his friend over him.

Did he have to take his life?

It always boggles the mind when one hears of a suicide over a failed relationship. It makes one wonder how a healthy being can choose to end his life while a cancer patient exhausts all means to stay alive.

When we were in college, the advice of a Spanish teacher to a female student whose eyes were puffed from crying over a boyfriend -- for what reason, I don't know-- was: No man is worth all those tears.

Now I'd like to add, even if I am a woman, that: No woman is worth all those tears. Or is anyone?

Desperation, I guess, is what drives a person to suicide. Desperation and the absence of a support group or even one person one can open one's heart to. Or a fragile relationship with God.

Sad. And yes, disturbing.

No comments: