Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Punta Fuego

For a reason I cannot disclose lest someone reads this who shouldn't, have been scouring the Net for a possible place to stay in Punta Fuego or nearby. So this morning (wrote this Wednesday night but will publish it today, Thursday), I rabidly looked for accommodations. Actually, I began the search yesterday.

Called Taal Vista Lodge but they don't allow 4 adults in a room. So that means we need to get two rooms for husband, son, maid and me. What a waste of space and money, no? But they're firm about this.

Considered Country Discovery Suites. Fully booked.

Considered The Boutique Bed and Breakfast Hotel but was intimidated when I saw the more than 10 steps leading to its lobby. Thank God for the Internet, I saw this (just the steps, the chair's ok - got this picture from clickthecity and it appeared as such) . The girl who took my call said they had assisted big men in wheelchairs up those steps, but still I'm hesitant. Besides I read some unfavorable reviews of the place: bugs, broken locks, etc. Pity. See trvir's comment in the bottom portion of the series of comments

Considered Punta Baluarte where my sisters, husband and maid went to in the eighties. Read it hasn't been maintained well. So that's out. But in fairness (how showbiz), their website really mentioned wheelchair accessibility. How kind.

Considered Hacienda isabella of Kuh Ledesma. I liked the pictures on the Net of her place, one of this (what a contrast to bed and breakfast, no?),
and Agnes, who took my call to inquire, was the most gracious of all those I spoke with from the establishments above. Worth considering, actually except that it is 8 km from the main road, so that's an additional 20 minutes taken up.

Then I called Punta Fuego itself. While formerly it was strictly exclusively for members, it seems they're now open to entertaining outsiders if space allows it. Unfortunately, their casitas are all taken. Wanted to cry. A house for rent was offered by someone, but suddenly I was told that was taken too. This a.m., as I surfed the Net, I came across the blog of Marcel Lainez and posted a message asking him where he and his family stayed. He gave me contact info for Punta Fuego (a house) and Tali Beach. I find that so kind of him - that he promptly responded to my query via email. Thing is I saw his email only when I got home from Podium, ergo too late to make calls. I'll do that first thing tomorrow. [house was taken too, huhuhu] (Please click on his website to get the info I got. I'm not sure he'll want me to spread the word around just like that), For his pictures on Tali Beach and to ask him about the house he rented there, click here

If finally we can't get a place in Punta Fuego itself, it might be Taal Vista Lodge or Hacienda Isabella. Hopefully, it won't be too late to get accommodations in either. Or will we end up in a manger? Hope not. I've been praying...

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Thursday morning update: Finally booked ourselves in Taal Vista Hotel. The people who take the calls are usually catatonic, robotic, lifeless. Even the girl I booked our accommodations with. How frustrating! So though I wanted to ask her more questions, I opted not to. It was like talking to guess who?

But I couldn't help it, I had to have answers so I called a different number and the voice that greeted me was alive, cheerful and joyful. Her name, Joy. corny ko no? But really, what a relief to know there are people employed by the establishment who have a zest for life. Hooray for Joy of the Manila office who volunteered a lot of info! May her tribe increase. Now to pack. Thanks for the magazines, chew. will take them with me. Got Yes yesterday at Podium! yehey.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. Thanks for mentioning my website. Glad to be of help!

Cheers!

antonette said...

Hello, Marcel. Thanks for dropping by. I posted the same entry in my other blog: derdo.wordpress.com. which more people access.

Again, thank you very much.

Anonymous said...

hi antoine,

Can you share with me the Punta Fuego and tali beach house for rent that was recommended to you by Marcel.

Superthanks!

jharlyu@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Hi! Your blog came out while I was searching for houses to rent in Tali and Punta Fuego. Hope you can share your contacts with me at bubblydumpling@gmail.com. Thanks a lot!

Anonymous said...

Hi! Your blog came out while I was searching for houses to rent in Tali and Punta Fuego. Hope you can share your contacts with me at bubblydumpling@gmail.com. Thanks a lot!

Anonymous said...

I'm also looking for a house in fuego for rent. Pls send me contact no. of the owner/caretaker of the house you rented. Thanks. I'm Ann 0920-9614031. Thanks!

antonette said...

Hello. Please get in touch with Marcel Lainez by clicking the link I posted. We didn't rent a house in Punta Fuego, but stayed in a casita.

Found this link in the Net that has many postings on houses for rent in Punta Fuego. Perhaps you can explore them as well.