Saturday, April 19, 2008

Gamu-gamo aka raga-raga

Wednesday and Thursday nights, at close to 10 o'clock. these pests swarmed around the fluorescent light bulb (50 watts, so quite a long bulb) in the room. Wednesday night, I was reading when I could sense my son scratching his leg. After looking at it from a far, I happened to look up and wow, infestation, invasion. Husband took a while to assemble the weapons of mass destruction: a basin of water and some candles. I felt so helpless and frustrated because while he was assembling them, the lights were on and the invaders increased in number. The TV had to be turned off so for close to an hour, we couldn't do anything but swat those that managed to creep down our arms, backs, etc.

Thursday night, a reprise took place. What alarmed me was my husband's thought that the said pests might indicate the presence of termites in our grounds. What do you say? Texted a cousin who lives in a condo nearby and there was not one gamu-gamu in sight, she side. A perk of living closer to heaven, I guess? My son who was at a party in a nearby subdivision didn't experience the insect attack either. But our neighbors did.

Last night, husband suggested we go out to avoid the incursion. So we hied off to Power Plant. At the elevator I was dismayed when I saw the husband of a newscaster with a female who wasn't his wife. And they talked about doing the grocery. His sister? I doubt it. Then we proceeded to have dinner at Sumo Sam and guess who was there? Joyce Jimenez and friends. Joyce is very pretty, always smiling. Her voice, though, sounds like GMA. Promise.

After dinner, we were walking along the corridor when my son said, "Ma, si Will Devaughn". Will was the commercial model of McDo a year or so ago, I think and is now one of three good-lucking guys in the Nesvita commercial. Of course Chris TIu is tops but Will is also guwapo. he and his companion went inside the shoe store Aldo. The lady was one of his housemates in Pinoy Big Brother. When I told the maid, she said it was Rissa, most likely.

My son got a book from National Book Store. It consisted of essays written by two women who are only child's. The essays were also written by similarly situated persons. In Fully Booked, he got a copy of the autobiography of Sting.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I always thought gamu-gamo meant a moth (like in that story about Jose Rizal). Anyway, gamu-gamo or raga-raga (this means ants with wings?), another trick would be to put a stick with garlic (like barbecued garlic) or a basin of water with vinegar. In K's house, this is a normal occurrence. Ugh!

A few years ago, it was different - we got invaded by these little green hopping things that bite. That was worse! An employee said that in their house in Banago, they were everywhere at dusk. Fortunately, they didn't come back in the next summer.

Sting's biography? Wow! I'm a sucker for memoirs and the like. Sting just recently admitted that he is bipolar. But I like his music. He was also once a teacher.

antonette said...

Really, Sting was a teacher? The nice part about the book or buying it, that is, is that it cost P400 only. And it's hardbound.

Now re the gamu-gamo, that's right the word translates to moth (Jose Rizal's and Nora Aunor's), so I don't know why Tagalogs also use it to refer to raga-raga. It's close to their time as I type this. I hope they won't appear. Arrgh.

Will try out your recourses. Galing the maid is so slow-moving basi by the time she finishes preparing the garlic and barbecue stick, all the pests will be dead from natural causes. Re Koko's house, natural occurrence as in every day? Eeeek, I hope that green thingies don't come! When I saw the innumerable raga-raga, I thought "plague" like during the time of Moses. What insects were those na gani? Can't remember... Oh great, my son remembers: locusts. In Bacolod lingo, that would be squid and yummy without the t.

antonette said...
This comment has been removed by the author.