Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Chapel on the Hill and Caleruega

Caleruega was the main reason we had hied off to Batangas, the Chapel on the Hill was a happy incidental. As we visited the Chapel on the Hill first, I'll write about it prior to Caleruega.

The Chapel on the HIll is walking distance from Evercrest Hotel. It is owned by the Don Bosco fathers. Those in wheelchairs shouldn't be disheartened. There's a ramp that gives access to the chapel on the hill.

The chapel called the Mary Help of Christians Chapel, I think, has a labyrinth. Coincidentally, prior to leaving for Batangas yesterday, I bade goodbye to Mama Mary's image which visits our home monthly, from the 7th to the 9th. And this Mama Mary is Mary, Help of Christians.

Rather than words, I'll put in the pictures my husband took to show you the place. The place is so laid out that it inspires prayer.




Following are the pictures I took:







Caleruega, on the other hand, is well known for weddings. In fact, when we got there, there was an ongoing wedding and when the couple had left, another was there for a look-see of the place. Owned by the Dominicans, it houses retreatants and there were quite a number around. While a few days ago my sister said it looked like it wouldn't be accessible to me, when I called the place I was assured there were ramps everywhere and she wasn't lying, except to the hanging bridge and the koi pond. Otherwise, the chapel and everywhere else was accessible.



The chapel in Caleruega is called the Chapel of the Transfiguration, hence the stained glass design below:



On the left is the prophet Elijah, the middle, Jesus, and the right, Moses with the two tablets of stone.


On the way to Caleruega were a number of houses and townhouses, a few of them looking like they had seen better days. I felt sad looking at them, among them this: .

There were also new townhouses with nary a caretaker nor security guard. What a pity if they don't take care of it.

I'll try to post more pictures in my multiply site. Easier to do so there. They'll be pictures of our trip in general...

No comments: