Monday, September 3, 2007

TV Commercials (1)



A few days ago, my husband was amused by the Bacchus commercial. I wasn't paying close attention then but I caught the last word uttered by the old lady, she said, "hello" in a most cool way, think sarcastic.

A few minutes ago, the said commercial was shown and so I watched. It started with a married couple (oops, a couple. Why did I say married, I guess because they seemed to live in the same house) holding a can of the Bacchus drink each. They appeared to be in a rush while the Lola, hair in a tight bun, was watching TV up close, as in really close. Her chair was barely a foot away from the TV set. She was watching a quiz show.

The emcee was asking a question, voice over was rather unclear, then the screen focused on the contestant who was at a loss for the answer. The Lola watching TV stood up and said, "Eratosthenes, hello." Cute. Cool lola.

Bacchus - this drink caught my attention when I chanced upon a project of my son in English class where they were supposed to criticize a print ad. He took issue over the fact that the drink is an energy drink when in fact Bacchus is known as a Roman god of wine and intoxication. Good insight, I thought, and that elicited praise from the teacher. So why did the makers of Bacchus name it such? Possibly, it's because Bacchus is also known to represent "not only the intoxicating power of wine, but also its social and beneficial influences."

Above are pictures of the drink and the Roman god after whom it was named.

No comments: