Friday, September 7, 2007

GOOD Samaritans

This afternoon, my husband and I went to a wake in Green Meadows. The chapel was accessible only through at least five steps, at most seven. "Chicken" for someone who's able, but a hurdle for someone in a wheelchair and her companions.

On our way up, two kind souls didn't think twice about helping out. We didn't have to say anything for them to decide to lend a hand. Going down was another thing altogether. By then the two kind souls weren't around. In their stead were two indifferent men, undoubtedly drivers of the other guests at the wake. They just looked at us nonchalantly as my husband, this time assisted by my son, brought me down in my wheelchair, step by difficult step. They sat back as though we looked like we didn't need help. They looked disinterested and bored. Meanwhile, as we were on the last step, one of the two earlier kind souls rushed to us in an attempt to be of help. Too late but I prayed to God to bless him.

The story of the 10 lepers and the Good Samaritan are perpetually reflected in my various life situations. Years back, as we negotiated the road from Shangrila Mall to the EDSA Shrine, we encountered a stretch where we needed help. A foreigner who saw us extended a helping hand. In an earlier blog I had mentioned the two men in Galleria and much later, Mr. Gonzalez of Prudentialife, who helped make an otherwise gruelling experience bearable, even happy. There are angels around us but one wishes there were more of them.

Re the 10 lepers story in the bible, on the other hand, I've experienced similar situations. Remember how only one of the 10 lepers Jesus healed returned to say thank you to him? Years back, when I tutored in church (see earlier blog), I had some 5 or 6 students. Come graduation day, only one came to say thank you after the graduation rites. Ironically this student was a saling pusa whose "enrollment" was not officially recognized to begin with. But it was she and she alone who bothered to say "thank you."

These few aforementioned examples and so many others are proofs positive that "history repeats itself." Sad, but true.

No comments: