Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Chicken Sandwiches

Before pork sate with java rice, my first memory of Roli's in Bacolod was their chicken sandwich. Time was when we'd go to my father's gasoline station weekends to help out and get paid with a chicken sandwich. Really yummy. Sometimes I'd ask for plain rather than toasted bread, but always without the vegetables. Roli's set the standard for chicken sandwich for me and I don't think it will ever be dislodged. It is way up there in the totem pole of chicken sandwiches. The reason I've switched to burgers lately is the fact that there's no Roli's in Manila. If there were, I wouldn't bother about burgers. So what approximates Roli's chicken sandwich here in the metropolis?

I guess Cibo's. It's served on soft white bread but without potato chips. There's alfalfa sprouts on the side though, which I know is healthier, but couldn't they add potato chips as well? So when my husband orders tuna sandwich, I always look longingly at the chips that go with his sandwich. Of course he shares them but they aren't really mine so... I cannot take too much.

Jollibee used to have chicken sandwich but just as I began to like it, it disappeared from the menu. I liked Bon Appetit's version too which came with asparagus. Yummy. But before long, it wasn't only the chicken sandwich that disappeared but Bon Appetit itself. Sad.

A few weeks ago, I read that Milky Way has good chicken sandwich with asparagus just like old times, the author said. So I bought that and wow, it cost only P75 per and came in a soft plastic box. It was good though the slivers of chicken were too few. When I next ordered it and saved it for eating at home, I realized that what they gave me was chicken salad sandwich. So instead of asparagus, what it contained was egg and tomato. Not bad.

McDo has its version of chicken sandwich but while it is good, the chicken is breaded and fried so it's less healthy (as if I eat healthy), but even more crucial, it leaves one feeling too stuffed. Burgoo has chicken sandwich, too, served with potato wedges or fries, whichever one wishes. Not bad, but not Roli's either.

Le Coeur (is the spelling wrong) has chicken sandwich but wow, how spare the chicken they spread on the bread. Imagine dabbing foundation lightly on your face. It's barely there.

Just this noon I ordered chicken sandwich from Teriyaki Boy. How generous. The bread (white) was huge and the chicken thickly sliced. It came with mayo mustard and lettuce. The bread became a bit soggy and the mayo could hardly be tasted, I guess because it was watery? Anyway, that problem was quickly solved by mayo from a bottle in the fridge. Japanese mayo would have been good too. The catch. It comes with chips. yehey, I thought and happily saved it for my son. When he took a bite, his face assumed a "yuck" look. It was wasabi chips. Remember Circles in Makati Shang? So be warned. One bite and the chips were ignored. Don't know yet if the husband will bother with it...

No comments: